cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Capacity-based license

Rockey_Wen
Level 4

Does anyone understand the Netbackup capacity license model?

I know it's based on the front end terabytes, but how it is calculated?

For example, I have 1TB weekly full backups and daily incremental (Monday - Thursday) 150 GB.  There is monthly full backups and yearly full backups as well, say 1TB each.  The retention periods of weekly and daily backups is 6 weeks, monthly backups for 12 months and yearly backups for 7 years.

In this case, how much TB capacity license I need to buy, (1 TB weekly full +0.15 TB daily * 4 days) * 6 weeks + 1 TB month backup *12 months + 1 TB yearly * 7 years = 21 TB? Or 2 TB is sufficient as the maximum backed up data is about 1 TB?

Thanks,

Rockey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Keep in mind the capacity based license is not for everyone.  You would need to have a disproportionate count of app/db packs, tier 2+ licenses, enterprise servers, etc with low capacity numbers for it to make sense.

I've crunched the numbers for a number of customers, and only maybe 1 in 10 make sense, and in large environments with lot's of TB's of data, it makes no sense at all.  Sadly there is no hard/fast rule where it makes sense.  But if you anticipate lots of server growth, but little capacity growth, it could be a good alternative.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Girish_N_
Level 3
Partner Accredited

it is based on the data you are backing up. if your backup data size is 1 TB you require 1 TB license.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi, Girish is correct, its is based on the actually data on the client you wish to protect. How many times you back it up or how many copies you keep is irrelevant.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Keep in mind the capacity based license is not for everyone.  You would need to have a disproportionate count of app/db packs, tier 2+ licenses, enterprise servers, etc with low capacity numbers for it to make sense.

I've crunched the numbers for a number of customers, and only maybe 1 in 10 make sense, and in large environments with lot's of TB's of data, it makes no sense at all.  Sadly there is no hard/fast rule where it makes sense.  But if you anticipate lots of server growth, but little capacity growth, it could be a good alternative.