cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Catalog size on Disk

Presnev
Level 3

Hi,

NetBackup Catalog Size on disk in my environment is around 100 GB and when I do a catalog backup, it backs up around 150 GB.

Is it because of a fragmented disk in Windows?

Is it advisory to do Defragmentation of the Disk in which NetBackup catalog reside?

NBU version : 6.5.5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I agree with the above excellent posts - the main  data is in the images directory - it also backs up the EMM and BMR etc. databases but generally there would not be very large

Check in Windows Explorer to make sure that the file system your catalog is on, or at least the images or sub folders, as not using file system compression - not a good idea for the catalog area

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is it because of a fragmented disk in Windows?

No.

How do you know it backs up '150GB ' ?  Where do you get this value.

What is the exact size of the Catalog, how do you get this value ?

We can see the amount backed up in the bptm log, I would incrase the VERBOSE level to 5 and then   send this in, after running a new Catalog backup.

Thanks,

Martin

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Check your /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images folder size is mainly where most of the catalog data is, there are some other folders but this is the biggest one.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I agree with the above excellent posts - the main  data is in the images directory - it also backs up the EMM and BMR etc. databases but generally there would not be very large

Check in Windows Explorer to make sure that the file system your catalog is on, or at least the images or sub folders, as not using file system compression - not a good idea for the catalog area

Hope this helps

Presnev
Level 3

NetBackup is installed in the E drive of the Master Server.

I checked the properties of the E drive; the Used Space comes around 70-80 GB out of its allocated 150GB, but when the Catalog Backup runs I could see from the Detailed Status the KiloBytes written comes around 120 GB.

Shouldn't it be just 70-80 GB?

Thanks all for your reply.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

So if you highlight all of the folders on the E drive, right click and select "Properties" (this will take a while!)

What do you see?

Is the "size" and "size on disk" the same?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Images is the main dir yes, but the others can be quite larger, or at least larger than you might think.

Hence why I asked how the size of the catalog was calculated, and not, how big is images on its own.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Of course how do you know NetBackup is not correct and the operating system should be 'just 120GB'

bptm will show what NBU is calculating ...

martin

Presnev
Level 3

I selected the Program Files directory in E drive(thats where the NetBackup SW is installed, also the Images directory) and did a properties. Below is the result.

Size : 125GB

Size of Disk : 64.3 GB

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

So there you go!

As i said previously you disk is using compression and the catalog is 120GB

If you have the free space i would strongly suggest that you uncompress the folders involved (whilst NetBackup is quiet)

But i think your question is answered - Glad to have helped

#edit# I see your disk is 150GB in size so you are running very close - EMM will go down when you get low on disk space so expand it and then uncompress it if this is possible - or more it to another drive with more space

Presnev
Level 3

Is the File system compression you're talking about is enabled at Disk Management -> Choose Partition

--> Properties --> Select the Check box"Compress Drive to save disk space"

If so, I think its not enabled. Please find the screenshot.

?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Take a look at your drive in Windows Explorer - do any of the folders show up as blue?

If you select in the columns to show the Attributes this should also show up if anything is compressed

Plus ... if you right click a blue folder, select Properties and then on the General tab select the Advanced button there is an option in there to compress the folder - unckecking that should uncompress the files - but make sure you have enough disk space to leave at least 10% free (preferably a lot more!)

You may be able to do it at a top level "blue" folder or may have to uncompress folder by folder

Presnev
Level 3

I understand what you mean by those Blue Folders, but I do not see any of them in the E drive(where NetBackup resides).

I only see them at the System Drive(C Drive) and those are the ones inside the C:\WINDOWS folder, with Windows Update uninstallable folders, I believe that they're normal.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Some of the folder in your catalog drive must be compressed and their attributes should show it

On the properties page you showed earlier, if you click the Advanced button on there is the compress files and folders option checked?

If so you can uncked it and ensure you select apply to all folders and sub folders and it will uncompress them

This will take a long time and NetBackup should be quiet whilst it does its stuff

I cannot stress enough you must ensure you have enough disk space to actually uncompress it all

Here is what the attribute looks like:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/ATLAS/images_v1/285477/capture_004...

Presnev
Level 3

I checked the attribute whether it is C, and it is not. I browsed into some of the directories inside Program Files as well as the NetBackup, images, NetBackup DB folders, but none of them were.

Also the Advanced Tab doesn't show that the compression option is enabled. I have logged a case with Symantec now, I thought this was easy.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Your screen shot shows 125GB of data but 64GB on disk so something is compressed unless you have something like Enterprises Vault archiving anything - hope not! Maybe you can do a directory listing to show the compressed files

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - just had another thought on this one ....

As you are struggling to find and folders showing compression it may just be the catalog files themselves that have been compressed.

As you are on Windows with an NTFS partition this could have been as a result of someone choosing Catalog Compression in the Master Servers Host Properties - Global Attributes section.

This tech note describes what this does:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34441

So if you want to undo this (uncmpress it) you need to follow the correct proceedure - but again I must stress that it is vital you have enough disk space to be able to do it - which I don't believe you do at the moment.

Please see this tech note that describes the correct proceedure to uncompress it if you decide you want to:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34467

Having said that your question was "NetBackup Catalog Size on disk in my environment is around 100 GB and when I do a catalog backup, it backs up around 150 GB" and I believe that the question has been answered based on the figures you have provided (Size = 125GB, Size on Disk =64.3GB) which clearly shows compression is being used - and I suspect it is NetBackup doing this compression.

Hope this helps and puts you in a position to deal with the issue