cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Deployment Utility

TN422
Level 2

In the output for NetBackup Deployment Utility there is a column "Charged Size (KB)". Is the Charged Size info exist in the OpsCenter Schema? If so, what does it call? I looked at the OpsCenter Schema document but couldn't find it. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

OpsCenter only records presissize (undeduped) and kbyteswritten (deduped if using netbackup dedupe). Charged probably just refers to bytes on the front end (the client) that is counted towards the total, and would therefore be charged (under the license)

TN422
Level 2

Riaan,

So is there a way to arrive at this "total" from OC? There is a column called "Total (KB)" in NetBackup Deployment Utility that has the same numbers as in the "Charged Size (KB)".

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The binary named "nbdeployutil" is the same in NetBackup Server as it is in OpsCenter server - thus, if the NetBackup Server instance of nbdeployutil can produce a valid report in the absence of OpsCenter, then this tell us that nbdeployutil on an OpsCenter Server is not referencing the OpsCenter database.  I believe that nbdeployutil is making API calls to NetBackup.  So, unless you are lucky in that OC and nbdeployutil work in exactly the same way, which I think is unlikely... then I think your best appraoch is to perhaps better understand where OC is getting its numbers from.

This could all be a wild-goose chase anyway, because Symantec/Veritas base their licencng view on nbdeployutil and not on OpsCenter.  And anyway, the OpsCenter 'licensing' view calls nbdeployutil - so I'm not entirely sure what it is that you want to achieve - or why you are asking the original question.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I'm working on my own queries to extract the information from OpsCenter. Unfortunately this is not a simple task.

The fact remains that nbdeployutil (or a query) cannot accurately determine the FETB unless your environment is 100% issue free, there is no overlapping backups selections, and all the Full run on a certain time.

Overlaps and reruns skew the reports that these tools can produce, and that is just because they cannot account for these situations. The nbdeploy util will notify you and YOU as the administrator must review.

TN422
Level 2

sdo,

I have a SQL query already created in OpsCenter and automatically send the report out every morning. I was asked to include the Charged Size in that report. So I was hoping the Charged Size is in OC somewhere.

RiaanBadenhorst

There is no such thing

You can configure chargeback where you assign a calculation/value but thats a topic for a different post.

TN422
Level 2

Riaan/sdo,

Thanks for the help. I really appreciated.