cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup EV Agent Open Partition parent jobs start - no child jobs run.

user022013
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello experts,

My problem is the following:

Master/Media servers:  Netbackup 7.5.0.5

Enterprise Vault: 9.0.3 running NBU 7.5.0.4 client

Backing up 2 vault stores at different times of the day - there is a business case for this.  For this purpose VaultA and VaultB

A full backup of the open partitions completes successfully as do the next one or two incremental backups.  After that the incremental backups of the open partitions hang on the parent job.

Yesterday the incremental backups jobs completed successfully in NetBackup but the vault stores were not taken out of backup mode so I did this manually.

Last night the parent job for VaultB ran but 13 hrs later the vault store had still not been put into backup mode. - I cancelled the backup.

This morning the parent job for VaultA ran, put the vault store into backup mode but no data was transferred.

For both vault open partition backups I have the initial parent job, then the job that lists the fingerprint database and Partition to be backed up.  This is the job that quiesces the stores.  I do not have the child job that backs up the actual data from the store.

If I were to run a Full open partition backup it would work but it takes all day so is not feasible. 

All Database backups are completing successfully except for the fingerprint database as this is called by the problem job. 

I hope this is clear enough for you to determine what my issue is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

user022013
Level 4

Thank you for your comment.  Our issues were resolved by upgrading to EV 9.0.4.1097.  I have not experienced the issue since.  I have not had to restart the services either.  We only do File System Archiving at this point in time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

user022013
Level 4

The quick fix for this is to reboot EV.  Next time I will try just restarting the EV services. 

This happened 10 days apart.  It is definitely the EV component not the netbackup component.

HAs anyone come across this?  Do we need to set up a regular reboot of the server or recyle of the services?

Roger_Goult
Level 3

I can remember reading somewhere on the symantec support forums that it is a good option to restart your EV services / server occaisionally ...

I have scheduled tasks that restart services nightly , and restart the server once a week .

Not during my backup windows  / archiving windows though ...

Doesn't stop me having other issues with EV Backups though .. But thats another story :)

user022013
Level 4

Thank you for your comment.  Our issues were resolved by upgrading to EV 9.0.4.1097.  I have not experienced the issue since.  I have not had to restart the services either.  We only do File System Archiving at this point in time.

user022013
Level 4

Maybe I can help you with your EV backups now, so long as you are using the agent and only doing FSA.

:)