cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup GRT duplications to Tape

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I'm aware of the additional time it takes when duplicating GRT backup images from disk to tape and the option to disable the it as detailed here.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100025250

1. On the master server, open the NetBackup Administration Console.

2. In the left pane, expand Host Properties.

3. Click Master Servers.

4. In the right pane, right-click the master server click Properties.

5. Click General Server.

6. Uncheck Enable message-level cataloging when duplicating Exchange images that use Granular Recovery Technology.

7. Click OK"

My question is that will this disable GRT catalouing for all duplication stages or only the one that goes to tape?

My GRT backup images are first duplicated to an off-site OST device and then to tape media for long term retention. I'm happy to turn this off for the tape duplication but want to retain it for the duplication on the OST device. Am I able to achieve this?

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Both your scenarios will work for you. Either make copy 2 primary or create a copy 4 on disk and make it primary.

AD (and ADAM) work the same as Exchange. Microsoft uses the same database engine for AD as for Exchange. The NetBackup GRT process follows the same pattern.

I can't speak for SharePoint GRT.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Slartybardfast
Level 5

Hi CadenL

I found this link https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/19475139-130198832-0/v22874421-130198832?profileURL=https%...

From the Veritas NetBackup™ for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator's Guide

If you turn this feature off, you will not be able to recover individual items from the duplicated data on tape once the images expire on your OST. "users are not able to browse for individual items on the image that was duplicated if the disk copy expires" Your OST will be not affected by unchecking this as it is the primary copy.

All the best

CadenL

Thanks - and I can see sense in that, but my situation is that the initial backup goes to OST (Primary copy) then it's duplicated offsite to a different OST device (copy 2) and finally duplicated to tape for long term storage (copy 3).

I want copy 2 to retain this info as it's a disk device and therefore works fine, but I don't want copy 3 to have it as it's a tape device and therefore slows down the duplication process.

I don't think this is possible though as I think I'll lose the ability to browse from the copy 2 version if I uncheck the box.

thanks

This option applies to all target media types. It is not specific to duplication to tape. However, the warning is somewhat overstated. You need the primary copy to be either a disk copy of the backup image, or a tape copy with the message data catalogued. The following sequence works:

1. Duplicate to tape with message level cataloguing disabled.

2. Delete the original copy.

3. Duplicate the image back to disk. (Your scenario of a second OST copy would satisfy this.)

4. Make the new disk copy the primary copy.

5. Browse the image for messages and restore them.

Alternatively, you can pre-catalog the GRT content via "bpduplicate -bc_only" before duplicating to tape. The option stands for "build catalog only."

Once the GRT content has been catalogued, image duplication doesn't need to do it again. This is true for either your second duplication, or if you duplicate after the bc_only operation.

CadenL

Hi Lowell

OK - I'm hoping I understand what you're saying, and if I do, then I think i'll be fine with turning this off. Please can you confirm my understanding and how it fits in with my scenario.

• I uncheck the box in the master servers host properties to disable cataloguing for duplicate jobs
  • I complete my backup (GRT enable) to OST device 1 using my SLP – this is my Primary Copy
  • My SLP then duplicates this backup image to OST device 2 – this is copy 2 and has no cataloguing as this is disabled on the master server for duplications jobs
  • My SLP then duplicates this image a further time to Tape – this is copy 3 and has no cataloguing option as this is disabled – which is what I’m ultimately looking to achieve.

Does it make any difference if the duplicate to tape is using the Primary copy or copy 2 as the source image??

Next is the key bit in my understanding

• By making my Copy 2 image (which resides on my OST device 2) my Primary Copy I am then able to browse the image for messages and restore them ( I don’t need to do anything more than make it the Primary Copy?)
  • Or I could even duplicate my tape image (Copy 3) back to disk – this would then be copy 4 – and make copy 4 my Primary Copy after which I am then able to browse the image for messages and restore them ( I don’t need to do anything more than make it the Primary Copy?) – I doubt I’ll need to ever to this but just curious.

Does it make any difference if the duplicate to tape stage of the SLP is using the Primary copy or copy 2 as the source image??

I assume this applies for AD and SharePoint as well as Exchange??

Many thanks

Both your scenarios will work for you. Either make copy 2 primary or create a copy 4 on disk and make it primary.

AD (and ADAM) work the same as Exchange. Microsoft uses the same database engine for AD as for Exchange. The NetBackup GRT process follows the same pattern.

I can't speak for SharePoint GRT.