cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Healthcheck

me-ver-91
Level 4

Hello everyone,

I want to do a healthcheck of the netbackup environment. I am new to my company and don't know the steps to do it.

There are 2 NetBackup domains (each in 2 different locations). In each domain there are 1 master server, 1 appliance acting as media server and storage. In 1 of the domains there is OpsCenter installed which is monitoring both domains. Also 2-way replication (AIR) is configured between domains.

I kindly need the steps to perform the healthcheck as I said before because I am new and don't know exactly what to do. Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you all very much :D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

I would second the recommendation of @andrew_mcc1.  I have performed a number of analyses for customers with the NBAT tool and while it is not (today) an externally available tool, it is very powerful and will help paint a detailed picture for you of what is in the environment, how it is configured and any potential issues you could be heading toward.

Your account team should have ready access to the tool and can get you instructions on how to do the data gather.  Once they have that they can produce the reports and review with you.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GeForce123
Level 5

I assume you still have licensing/support with Veritas for NetBackup. If you do, reach out to your rep and ask for a NetBackup Configuration Review, I think this is what you are looking for. They will have you run a few commands and gather the output. Once you submit that data to them, they will come back with a document about your entire environment's configuration and best practices/suggestions.

Overall there is a 'Score Card Summary' that provides a high-level glimpse into the health of the NetBackup Master Server(s). The document they provide will also show a critical findings summary with actions to consider on changing what is found.

Hopefully this helps you @me-ver-91

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

Not sure if is is the same as the NetBackup Configuration Review mentioned but there is a NetBackup Assessment Tool (NBAT) developed and supported by Veritas Professional Services. It can provide comprehensive analysis of one of more NetBackup domains covering Master Server, Media Servers and Appliances. It can be run by Veritas Business Critical Engineers and Veritas Professional Services plus some Veritas pre-sales engineers and Partners are trained to use it. I would suggest reach out to Veritas locally, may be a cost to getting it run.

Best regards, Andrew

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

I would second the recommendation of @andrew_mcc1.  I have performed a number of analyses for customers with the NBAT tool and while it is not (today) an externally available tool, it is very powerful and will help paint a detailed picture for you of what is in the environment, how it is configured and any potential issues you could be heading toward.

Your account team should have ready access to the tool and can get you instructions on how to do the data gather.  Once they have that they can produce the reports and review with you.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Thank you everyone for your replies. Much appreciated :D

Just wanted to jump in here as the architect and main developer of the NetBackup Assessment Toolkit (NBAT).   It has been around since 2013 and has had over 15 version releases, each release adding more functionality. 

The goal of NBAT is  to do a deep healthcheck of numerous areas in a NetBackup configuration.  It can check master servers, media servers, and all Veritas NetBackup Appliances.  Key to it's continued success is another major goal :  to stay relevant, always adding support for the latest supported Platforms for NetBackup servers, including Veritas Appliances. 

It is available to everyone who is customer facing - both internal Veritas employees as well as partners.   NBAT has differing levels of use based on the NBAT user role.   Post-sales roles get a higher level of output to help the customer fix issues.  Post-sales users include Internal Veritas roles like Business Critical Services, Professional Services, Technical Support, and Managed Backup; as well as Partner Professional Services and Support.  Sales (both Internal Veritas and Partner)  roles get slightly less information than post-sales, but they receive a large amount of extremely valuable information at their disposal - highly useful  for selling more hardware, software, and services, as well as planning upgrades and possibly re-designing if needed. 

Currently (circa Aug 2019), NBAT Version 2.8 performs over 500 checks.   NBAT also has other utilities that can provide insights into Veritas Flex and Access Appliances.   There are also numerous 'goodies' utilities in the NBAT toolkit zip file.  NBAT Version 2.9 will be out in the next few months and will add even more checks and useful information.

If you have any questions about the toolkit, please contact:

GTS-Tools-NBAT@veritas.com

- Rob

Rob Parrott, CBCP

Architect

Customer Success Tools

Veritas Technologies, LLC

rob_parrott@veritas.com