Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Hyper-V 2012 Backup moving Virtual Machine to Save State

punbs
Level 4
Certified

Hi Techs,

We are facing issue while a Hyper V Backup.

When I start a backup of the HyperV of 2012 Server. Virtual Machine is moving to Saved State and backup will start.

During the backup. We are unable to access the Virtual Machine and Application.

Once backup Completes it will comes to normal State and even during the backup no vss shadows are creating.

Any inputs.

Rgds, punbs

17 REPLIES 17

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Please check this note and see if your guest is affected by the circumtances that require it to be backed up offline.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH152313

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello,

Any feedback?

Balaji_Subraman
Level 4

Hi Riaan,

I need one clarification, for full virtual machine backup, whether i need to install netbackup client in both Hyper-v server and in guest server??

please suggest me.

Thanks
Balaji

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello,

To back up the vm container (hyperv policy) you need the client in the hyperv host. To backup and application (sql exchange etc) you need the client in the guest. For single file restore you also need the client installed in the guest, unless you're going to restore to a share/copy the files to the guest.

punbs
Level 4
Certified

Hi Riaan,

I got few details for failure.

1. If i uncheck the off-host backup option in the Hyper-v Tab of Policy.

Backup is happening. But the problem is snapshost is not creating for this.

I observed that my vm is having below configuration: 

Eg: C:\ ------------ Disk 1 ---------------- *****.vhd

D:\....................Disk 2 -----------------*****.vhdx

Backup is failing with snapshot Error.

For above symantec is having any limitation like that, virtual machine should not have different type of disk format.

Experts... Plz comment.

Balaji_Subraman
Level 4

Thanks for the reply Riaan, i installed the Netbakcup client in Hyper-v server. while finishing the policy creation, i got the warning message and same attached here. please suggest.

Regards

Balaji

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello,

I didn't see this is not your post. Please open a new post with your issue.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello,

Do you have " Enable file recovery from VM backup" enabled for this policy? Its not possible to use this option with vhdx so it might be causing an issue.

Marianne

Best to go through chapter 1 and 2 of NetBackup for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide  carefully.

You will see the following: 

Phase 3:
The VSS Hyper-V writer quiesces the Windows virtual machine and creates
the snapshot on the host volume. If the Hyper-V writer cannot quiesce the virtual
machine, the virtual machine is placed in the Saved state before creation of the
snapshot.

You will find a list of pre-reqs in chapter 2 that includes various MS hotfixes for VSS on the Hyper-V server and virtual machines.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

NBU 7.6.x

Hyper-v 2012

vhdx as file system for vms often results in VM going into saved state during backup. 

Solution

Upgrade NBU to 7.6.0.2 and Hyper-V to 2012 R2

This is due to underlying Integration services and vhdx format... Pls recofirm if this is applicable to your environment.

Seth_E
Level 6

The list of Pre-reqs are for 2008 Hyper-V. I don't see anything that relates to 2012 R2. We are having the same issue. VM goes into saved state . It is vhd, not vhdx.

Seth_E
Level 6

Seth_E
Level 6

We are running 7.6.0.3 and Hyper-V 2012 R2. One VM is causing us this issue. Others appear fine (for now)

Seth_E
Level 6

Update.

The VM in question is a 2008 R2 and is the only one that is entering a saved state during backup. The snapshot portion of the backup does fail and looking at the event viewer of the hyper v host, I see VSS errors.

A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f3, The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried,

the error may not reoccur.

. Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer.

Operation:

PostSnapshot Event

Context:

Execution Context: Writer

Writer Class Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}

Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer

Writer Instance ID: {763a78bf-6881-4b16-be89-3524c7934dd5}

Command Line: C:\Windows\system32\vmms.exe

Process ID: 1764

vssadmin list writers shows:

Writer name: 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer'
   Writer Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
   Writer Instance Id: {763a78bf-6881-4b16-be89-3524c7934dd5}
   State: [11] Failed
   Last error: Retryable error

If I move this VM to another host, I have the same issue.  There are no VSS errors in the actual VM itself.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi

The snapshot is a function of Hyper-V, so investigate that and get it to a state where you can take a snapshot of it.

Seth_E
Level 6
Turns out, a simple upgrade of the integration tools solved our issue on 2008 R2 VM's.

xlrd
Level 3

Here is an easier way to check conditions for ONLINE backup: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO101560