cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Job Start Email Notification

JSzeto
Level 4

I am able to receive every other email notifications:

Code0(backup succeeded), Code1(backup partially successful), Code96(failed, unable to allocate new media), Code150(failed, terminated by administrator)

However I never able to get "backup jobs start/begin" notification, what am I missing?..

I am using nbmail.cmd's method to get the above alerts, please advise.

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

NBMAIL.CMD only reports on backup status i.e. when it has completed. If you'd like a mail to be sent to you when it starts you can create bpstart_notify scripts on the client. These scripts are executed when bpbkar start i.e. when a backup starts. NetBackup passes the following to the script. You can install blat on the client if you want it to mail you and push these parameters into your output.

- This script receives six parameters
%1 = CLIENT_NAME
%2 = POLICY_NAME
%3 = SCHEDULE_NAME
%4 = SCHEDULE_TYPE, one of the following: FULL, INCR, CINC, UBAK, UARC
%5 = STATUS, always 0
%6 = RESULT_FILE

JSzeto
Level 4

Are these enough in the bpstart_notify.cmd ?

Do I need to put a ":MAIL" at the end? Also do I need to modify "client send mail" in console?

if "%4" == "FULL" goto FULL
if "%4" == "CINC" goto CINC
if "%4" == "" goto FAIL

@REM print a generic message since backup is neither full, nor cumulative incremental
echo backup/restore started on %1 using policy %2 with schedule %3 and status %5, bpres = %6 >> "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\BP_RES.txt"
@echo 0 >> %6
GOTO :EOF
@REM exit 0

:FULL
echo full backup started on %1 using policy %2 with schedule %3 and status %5, bpres = %6 >> "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\BP_RES.txt"
echo 0 >> %6
@REM exit 0

:CINC
@echo cumulative incremental backup started on %1 using policy %2 with schedule %3 and status %5, bpres = %6 >> "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\BP_RES.txt"
@echo 0 >> %6
@REM exit 0

:FAIL
@REM no schedule type information was sent.  A failure has occured.  Write status 1 to results files.
@echo 1 >> %6
@REM exit 0