cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup KMS in NetBackup Clustered Environment

a_la_carte
Level 5

Hello Folks,

Looking out for answers to few queries here so that we can proceed with this encryption solution in our NetBackup environment.

==========================================================

My NBU environment is as below: 
NBU in cluster: Both Nodes Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise x-64-bit 
NBU version : 7.6.0.1, upgrading to 7.7 in next 1 month 
Media Servers: 2, Solaris 11, LDOMs 
Tape Library: Oracle SL150 - 10 LTO-6 tape drives, SSO enabled 

========================================================== 

Customer is looking forward to put encryption on the tapes. 
We are suggesting them to use KMS encryption, instead of client encryption at policy level or MSEO @ media server level. 

1) Since both MSEO and Client-level encryption requires processing and hence put additional overload on media servers and clients respectively, hence we are planning for KMS, which doesn't involve any additional processing and hence no overloading of clients or media-servers. Are we correct in our thinking here ? Please clarify.

2) As KMS doesn't require any additional license, so it would be quickly enabled at NBU end without additional cost. Is this correct ? 

3) The tape drives are LTO-6 of latest generation, hence they support KMS-NBU encryption at tape/tape-drive level. Is this correct ? 

4) Since our NBU environment is clustered with Active & Passive master-server nodes, how would you think that initial KMS configuration (like creating key DB, HMK, KPK, key-group, active key record etc. ) would be handled? Do we need to do this initial configuration on both the nodes separately and alike? How would NBU-encryption behave when entire NBU master Server gets failed over from one master-server node to another during fail-over ?

5) What are the drawbacks of configuring KMS in NBU Clustered Environment and what challenges are associated with the same ? 

6) How KMS is going to affect the overall backup completion timing for a particular backup, given that Client-based and media server based encryption both are CPU-intensive operations, and KMS is just pool based ? Will KMS-encryption really affect the backup-completion timing ?

We would like answers to above questions point-wise and will post more as they strike our mind. 

Thanks for your time and kind assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

1. Correct
  2. Check with your local Veritas SE / Account manager regarding licensing.
  3. Check with your hardware vendor. Most drives can perform encryption but I believe you'll need a license to unlock the feature.
  4. Follow the instructions in the NetBack security and encryption guide. Section "About installing KMS with HA clustering"
  5. Nothing, its going to be clustered along with your Master Server services
  6. It will not affect it. Encryprion is performed at HW layer.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

1. Correct
  2. Check with your local Veritas SE / Account manager regarding licensing.
  3. Check with your hardware vendor. Most drives can perform encryption but I believe you'll need a license to unlock the feature.
  4. Follow the instructions in the NetBack security and encryption guide. Section "About installing KMS with HA clustering"
  5. Nothing, its going to be clustered along with your Master Server services
  6. It will not affect it. Encryprion is performed at HW layer.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

2) Yes, no cost, assuming you have license coverage already for all of your tape drives.

3) I've never had to install a license on an HP library to enable KMS - but takes Riaan's advice and ask the vendor.

6) I've heard it said that there's about a 1% performance/throughput/efiiciency hit/detriment from enabling KMS.  In short you probably won't notice.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Agree with Riaan answers except

2: This is a YES. KMS is part of the NBU base license.

From my experince on KMS, is very easy to use and transparent in operation.

Here are two tech notes I think you will find interesting:

How to verify KMS encrypted the backup

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000006206

How to Export and Import Encryption Keys Using the NetBackup KMS

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000009714

However one work of warning. Don't rotate encryption keys (if at all) faster than the retention of the longest backup. Else you may end up handling encryption keys in excel - switching forth and back keys, restore errors because of incorrect KSM key and having to stop and start Netbackup every time.

a_la_carte
Level 5

Thanks folks,

Another set of queries popped up in my mind.

7) Is KMS encryption possible for disk-based backup too? Or just only tape-based backup as this is only Volume-pool based and T10 complaint tape-drives based ?

8) I go through the page no.270/271 point "About installing KMS with HA clustering", its' referring to Optional packages and services related to them, is this a mention of KMS as a package here ?

And if we do not enable monitoring of KMS services, then that means if an issue happens with this KMS service in future, then NetBackup will not failover to other node and will remain there only in failed state ?

And if an issue happens with any other service in future, then NetBackup will failover to another node with all its other services except KMS ?

Please clarify above point in detail please.

9) Since we run below command in "bin" directory to create KMS DB, then how it gets installed on shared drive (J:\  is shared drive in our case  for catalog use by both the nodes) ?

In our case, our installation path is E:\ drive on both the nodes. The concern here is if I do initial configuration of KMS on E:\ drive on one active node, then how these settings and configuration get mapped to another passive node?

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\nbkms -createemptydb  

10) GRT, as per below tech-note, is not possible using any encryption option, be it Client, MSEO or KMS. Does this also include GRT for VMware backup types too or just the Exchange ?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000071421

Please confirm if we can restore a single file from VMware backup (GRT) encrypted with NetBackup KMS.

RiaanBadenhorst

7. No

8. That refers to Unix/Linux where the NetBackup installation is/was more modular

9. NetBackup is cluster aware so it will know that your KMS folder is located on J:\.

10. That statement refers to Granular Recovery (Exchange, AD, and SPS) and not VRAY that is used for VMware.

sdo

7) Yes KMS can be enabled for Advanced Disk:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.DOC5149

9) Just a side-line piece of advice... try very very hard not to run commands whilst in the bin folder... one piping or pasting goof and you've broken NetBackup.  Instead setup 'paths' at the OS CLI / shell layer.

10) The tech note actually says this:

When the Encryption attribute is enabled, the server encrypts the backup for the clients that are listed in the policy. NetBackup does not support GRT for any backups that use encryption.

...which is refering to whether 'encryption' is enabled on the backup policy, i.e. to use client side encryption.  NetBackup KMS encryption is abstracted from client and server comms - i.e. the backup client does not know whether the backup is encrypted or not.  I very much suspect that GRT can still be used (for copies made to tape (other GRT/tape feature limitations notwithstanding)) even if NetBackup KMS has been deployed at the tape back-end.  Remember, NetBackup KMS encryption is not enabled at the policy level (by selecting policy attribute for encryption)... instead NetBackup KMS is implemented at the volume pool level.

RiaanBadenhorst

7. Interesting. Thanks SDO

a_la_carte
    Level 5

Thanks Riaan.

If you are saying that the NBU is cluster aware, do you mean to say that if I run the "createemptydb" command on E:\ drive path, then KMS DB/folder will get created on J:\ drive automatically ?

@sdo:-

But if I talk specifically about GRT for exchnage, then tape doesnt come into picture at all and there MUST be a disk at the other end, and if so, then does KMS on a basic disk is supported ?

I have read about KMS on NBU Adv.Disk though, nowhere it is mentioned about basic disk-based backup.

Again, KMS has been, everywhere, flagged as an encryption solution with a TAPE which is T10 complaint, then how the Adv.Disk has been coming into picture ?

sdo

When you are on the E: drive and issue a command is doesn't just do things on the E: drive.  The command you are running as a direct binary may itself exist on the E: drive, but this has no baring on what it might read/write on any other drive.

No NetBackup KMS for NetBackup Basic Disk.

You can still duplicate your GRT aware backup images to KMS encrypted tape - but as you know, you won't be able to perform a GRT restore frrom tape (whether encrypted on not) - but you can still perform a GRT restore if you retain a copy (as primary copy) of the backup image on disk for however long you can/should.

Not sure how KMS works deep down for Adv.Disk - but if the manual says it works, then it should work.  Maybe do a POC for yourself?

RiaanBadenhorst

As SDO said, you just the command, it will know where the location of KMS is because it will refer to the registry. When you performed the cluster installation a whole bunch of folders got moved to the J drive, and the registry was updated. Any folder that should be shared i.e one that contains data (EMM databases, catalog, etc) are put on shared so its available after failover.

Nicolai
    Partner    VIP   

My guess

AdvancedDisk is OST based, I dont't think the basic disk is.

When you activate KMS for advanced disk you copy a OST plug-in that enabled the encryption. That also means the KMS encryption on advanceddisk will take away a lot of CPU cycles. On tape its taken care in the tape drive.

Before enabling KMS on disk, please think about the following statement:

If original data and backup data reside in similar security zones, does it make sense to secure backup data more than original data ?

mph999
    Level 6
    Employee Accredited

It does work on Adv Disk - I tried it a few months back ...