cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Licensing On Veritas Portal

wilbertrojasoch
Level 2
Hi everyone, I would like to know the meaning of these items that appear in the MyVeritas portal associated with my active licensing agreements: authorized amount Product name 6 NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DB PACK UX 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE 2 NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DB PACK WLS 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE 4 NETBACKUP ENT CLIENT UX 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE 2 NETBACKUP ENT CLIENT WLS 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE 4 NETBACKUP OPT LIBRARY BASED TAPE DRIVE XPLAT 1 DRIVE ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE 1 NETBACKUP SERVER UX 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE 18 NETBACKUP STD CLIENT XPLAT 1 SERVER ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE All my work environment is Oracle Solaris for SPARC but these descriptions that appear in My Veritas Portal fail to associate them correctly in their operation or meaning. I have read the Netbackup Licensing Guide document but I cannot associate its content with what is reflected with MyVeritas. Thanking any clarification help. regards.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ignoring the fact you are running a now unsupported version and should look to upgrade if possible.

Based on what you have posted here's my take on your licensing coverage:

• I don't have servers with Windows and / or Linux (x86) in my work environment, only Solaris for SPARC.
    • All the license with the WLS tag are not required if this is the case. Also the ENT CLIENT licenses do not appear to be required in the environment either (unless you are using any of the advanced fatures @Marianne mentioned).
  • There are 2 tape library, one of them has 4 tapes drives and the other makes use of 2 tapes drives.
    • This uses all 4 of the TAPE licenses and leaves you 2 short

@wilbertrojasoch wrote:

Hi @Marianne, thanks for your help in the answers and sorry for the previous post in the exhibition of my doubt.

I detail my current environment:

• All servers have Oracle Solaris 8, 10 and 11 for SPARC installed as operating system.
      • I don't have servers with Windows and / or Linux (x86) in my work environment, only Solaris for SPARC.
      • There are 2 tape library, one of them has 4 tapes drives and the other makes use of 2 tapes drives.
      • I have a server with the function of master server and another server with the functions of media server, the media server is only for restoring some tapes (1639 tapes) that own the media server and the master server is currently where backups are being made.
      • There are servers where filesystems are backed up only as well as I have servers that are backed up by both filesystems as well as at the RMAN database level directly with Netbackup on servers that have Oracle Solaris 11 and Oracle Database 11.
      • The version of Netbackup in my environment is 7.5.0.7 but this corresponds to that in higher versions of Netbackup I understand that there is no support or compatibility with Oracle Solaris 8 and / or Oracle Database 9.
      • In view of the compatibility issue with older versions of OS and DB, I even have servers with Netbackup 6.5 clients.

The reason for this thread is precisely to try to associate each of the items that appear in My Veritas Portal with this work environment.

Greetings.

• I have a server with the function of master server and another server with the functions of media server, the media server is only for restoring some tapes (1639 tapes) that own the media server and the master server is currently where backups are being made.
    • You have no licenses to run this configuration - you require 2 x ENT (enterprise) SERVER UX license of the appropriate tier to run both a Master and media server. 
  • There are servers where filesystems are backed up only as well as I have servers that are backed up by both filesystems as well as at the RMAN database level directly with Netbackup on servers that have Oracle Solaris 11 and Oracle Database 11.
    • You need a STD CLIENT license for each physical server (whether running only file system backups or file system and database backups).You also require a CLIENT APPLICATION and DB PACK UX to covers each Oracle server you are running Ddatabase backups on - you need as many licenses as physical servers using this feature (so if you are using LDOMs and are running oracle on a number of LDOMs, you only need one license for the physical server). You don't indicate the number of servers being backed up so it is impossible to determine the number of licenses required. 

Options to consider - talk to your account team regarding this.

• You don't appear to be using any enterprise features, so you could consider removing the media server from the environment and corresponding tapes drives (read up on the nbdecommsision command). This will immediately bring you into license complliance as the NETBACKUP SERVER license will cover a single master/media with tape drives. Depending on the number of clients in the environment you may need to increase the STD CLIENT license count and the APP & DB PACK UX count (and tier potentially). The unused licenses (for instance all the WLS ones which you indicate you do not have) can potentially converted to the additional UX icenses you may require.
  • A second option is to trade-in/convert the unused licenses to add additional tape drive licenses and offset the cost of the (currently) required ENT SERVER UX licenses

In any case, you are currently not compliant licensing wise, I would suggest you talk to your account team first to start the conversation before 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Really difficult to read your message with no line breaks - no idea if the number represent quantities?

• 6 NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DB PACK UX 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE
  • 2 NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DB PACK WLS 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE
  • 4 NETBACKUP ENT CLIENT UX 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE
  • 2 NETBACKUP ENT CLIENT WLS 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE
  • 4 NETBACKUP OPT LIBRARY BASED TAPE DRIVE XPLAT 1 DRIVE ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE
  • 1 NETBACKUP SERVER UX 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 1 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE
  • 18 NETBACKUP STD CLIENT XPLAT 1 SERVER ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE

It is impossible to map your licenses to what you have if we have no idea what your backup environment looks like.

Herewith mapping of licenses to what you can recognise in the licensing guide (you did not say which version you are looking at?): 

• NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DB PACK UX TIER 1
    The Application and Database Pack on the Traditional model is licensed per tiered physical server/machine. UX = Unix (Solaris Sparc, AIX or HP-UX)
  • NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DB PACK WLS 1 TIER 1 
    Same as above - WLS = Windows, Linux or Solaris X86
  • NETBACKUP ENT CLIENT UX TIER 1 
    Enterprise Client includes all of these features:
     - Advanced Microsoft Hyper-V and/or VMware backup
    -  Client-based snapshot (host or array)  via NetBackup Snapshot Client.
    -  SAN-connected backups via SAN Media Server or SAN Client.
  • NETBACKUP ENT CLIENT WLS TIER 1 
    Same as above - just for Win/Lin/Solx86
  • NETBACKUP OPT LIBRARY BASED TAPE DRIVE 
    Self-explanatory
  • 1 NETBACKUP SERVER UX  TIER 1 
    This one is confusing - a NetBackup Server cannot have Enterprise Clients. 
    You need Enterprise Server to use Ent Client licenses
  • NETBACKUP STD CLIENT 
    Regular network clients

You have marked NBU 7.1.x and earlier as your NBU version - are you really on such an old version? Hardware tiers look like this:

tiers.JPG

Best to reach out to your local partner to assist with a license assessment.

Hi @Marianne, thanks for your help in the answers and sorry for the previous post in the exhibition of my doubt.

• All servers have Oracle Solaris 8, 10 and 11 for SPARC installed as operating system.
  • The version of Netbackup in my environment is 7.5.0.7 but this corresponds to that in higher versions of Netbackup I understand that there is no support or compatibility with Oracle Solaris 8 and / or Oracle Database 9.
  • In view of the compatibility issue with older versions of OS and DB, I even have servers with Netbackup 6.5 clients.

The reason for this thread is precisely to try to associate each of the items that appear in My Veritas Portal with this work environment.

Greetings.

Ignoring the fact you are running a now unsupported version and should look to upgrade if possible.

Based on what you have posted here's my take on your licensing coverage:

• All the license with the WLS tag are not required if this is the case. Also the ENT CLIENT licenses do not appear to be required in the environment either (unless you are using any of the advanced fatures @Marianne mentioned).
    • This uses all 4 of the TAPE licenses and leaves you 2 short

@wilbertrojasoch wrote:

Greetings.

• You have no licenses to run this configuration - you require 2 x ENT (enterprise) SERVER UX license of the appropriate tier to run both a Master and media server. 
    • You need a STD CLIENT license for each physical server (whether running only file system backups or file system and database backups).You also require a CLIENT APPLICATION and DB PACK UX to covers each Oracle server you are running Ddatabase backups on - you need as many licenses as physical servers using this feature (so if you are using LDOMs and are running oracle on a number of LDOMs, you only need one license for the physical server). You don't indicate the number of servers being backed up so it is impossible to determine the number of licenses required. 

Options to consider - talk to your account team regarding this.

• You don't appear to be using any enterprise features, so you could consider removing the media server from the environment and corresponding tapes drives (read up on the nbdecommsision command). This will immediately bring you into license complliance as the NETBACKUP SERVER license will cover a single master/media with tape drives. Depending on the number of clients in the environment you may need to increase the STD CLIENT license count and the APP & DB PACK UX count (and tier potentially). The unused licenses (for instance all the WLS ones which you indicate you do not have) can potentially converted to the additional UX icenses you may require.
  • A second option is to trade-in/convert the unused licenses to add additional tape drive licenses and offset the cost of the (currently) required ENT SERVER UX licenses

In any case, you are currently not compliant licensing wise, I would suggest you talk to your account team first to start the conversation before