cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Licensing Question

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

Sorry if this isn't appropriate for this forum as it's not entirely technical.

I have a single Linux Master\Media server running NetBackup 7.7.1 which I have had for many years and is running NetBackup Server (NOT Enterprise Server). I now what to add a media server and need to undertsand what licensing I'm going to need. I have traditional licensing and don't want to move to a capacity model

My understanding is that NetBackup Server doesn't allow me to add a media server so I will need to upgrade this to NetBackup Enterprise Server - this is quite an expense but I should be able to stretch to this. Is this all I need? or do I also need to license the new NetBackup media server I plan to deploy?

If I do need to license the new media server does this too need to be NetBackup Enterprise or can it just be NetBackup Server? It will only be backing up itself to a locally attached tape autoloader so it doesn't need any Enterprise features really - in fact it's just what use to be known as a SAN media server - does such a thing still exist?

many thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

A "NetBackup Server" (non-Enterprise) license can only ever exist as one NetBackup "server" in any given NetBackup environment.  As soon as you need/want to deploy two or more "server" type roles - be they Master or Media or Master/Media or SAN Media, then you will need a "NetBackup Enterprise License" for each server.

So, for your installation, you will need to ask your channel sales partner for... one uplift of NetBackup Server to NetBackup Enterprise Server, plus one additional new NetBackup Enterprise Server license.  They will also need to know the number of populated CPU sockets on the mobos for each physical server (not cores, not virtual CPOUs, but actual populated physical CPU sockets).

HTH.

View solution in original post

Marianne

Correct - Enterprise Client enables different features. One of which is 'SAN Media Server'. 

SAN media server is just like any media server, only difference is that it is configured to backup its own data, no other network client(s). 
For this you need to configure the Storage Unit with 'On demand only'. 

There are a number of discussions about SAN Media server, e.g. 
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/How-To-Configure-SAN-Media-Server/m-p/687447

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sdo

A "NetBackup Server" (non-Enterprise) license can only ever exist as one NetBackup "server" in any given NetBackup environment.  As soon as you need/want to deploy two or more "server" type roles - be they Master or Media or Master/Media or SAN Media, then you will need a "NetBackup Enterprise License" for each server.

So, for your installation, you will need to ask your channel sales partner for... one uplift of NetBackup Server to NetBackup Enterprise Server, plus one additional new NetBackup Enterprise Server license.  They will also need to know the number of populated CPU sockets on the mobos for each physical server (not cores, not virtual CPOUs, but actual populated physical CPU sockets).

HTH.

CadenL

OK - many thanks
So, just to confirm. I need an NetBackup Enterprise Server upgrade for my existing master server - I get that.
But I also need a second NetBackup Enterprise Server license for my new media server? Even though this isn't a master server and doesn't need any enterprise features - like the ability to backup enterprise clients or use snapshot backups etc?

Basically, it sounds like NetBackup Enterprise Server license (on the Master server) cannot co-exist with NetBackup Server license on the Media Server.
Which is fine - just want to make sure I'm not paying for license levels on the media server I don't need.

many thanks again

sdo

correct, the singular use singular environment restrictions of a "NetBackup Server" license dictate that it cannot be used in a two or more "server role" environment.

You are expanding from a "departmental" two tier (server + clients) model, to an "enterprise" three tier (master + medias + clients) model.  So, yes, each NetBackup "server" role requires an "NetBackup Enterprise Server" license.

CadenL

Perfect - many thanks

Marianne

Sorry, I'm late to this conversation. 

@CadenL 

What you need is a cross-grade of your current Server license to Enterprise server:
NETBACKUP ENT SERVER XXX 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER # ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE XG FROM NBU SERVER

For the client that will be converted from Standard Client to Enterprise Client (that includes SAN media server):
NETBACKUP ENT CLIENT XXX 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER # ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE XG FROM NBU STD CLIENT

As per @sdo , you need the correct OS-family:
XXX = WLS (Windows, Linux, Solaris x86) or UX (Unix). 
#    = hardware tier.

Tier.JPG

Marianne

@CadenL 

I have another question about this:

It will only be backing up itself to a locally attached tape autoloader

Are you purcasing a new autoloader?
If so, you will need additional library-based tape drive license for each drive in the autoloader. 

CadenL

Thanks Marianne

Will running the Enterprise Client on the server I was planning to make a media server allow me to connect a local tape autoloader onto the Enterprise Client and backup directly to this? This server won't need to protect any other network clients but it's just I have a lot of local data and want to back this up to a local tape device.

If that's the case then this is exactly what I need :o)

Thanks for the heads-up on the tape drive license, yes I've got those licenses too :)

Marianne

Correct - Enterprise Client enables different features. One of which is 'SAN Media Server'. 

SAN media server is just like any media server, only difference is that it is configured to backup its own data, no other network client(s). 
For this you need to configure the Storage Unit with 'On demand only'. 

There are a number of discussions about SAN Media server, e.g. 
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/How-To-Configure-SAN-Media-Server/m-p/687447

CadenL

brilliant - thanks for the info