cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Licensing with Oracle VM Linux/Windows VMs?

Roddy_Rodstein
Level 2

Greetings,

Could you please help us understand how NetBackup is licensed on Linux and Windows virtual machines hosted on Oracle VM? Oracle VM is Oracle's x86 server virtualization hypervisor, like ESX, Hyper-V, or XenServer.

We do not intent to run NetBackup on the ORacle Vm servers, i.e. the hypervisors, we do intenet to run NetBackup in the Linux and Windows VMs? the Linus and Windows VMs are running Oracle DBs, App servers / WebLogic, and Oracle EBS, and Exchange, and SQL Server. 

Is NetBackup is licensed per hosts, i.e. per hypervisor?

Is NetBackup is licensed per virtual machine?

Thank you,

Roddy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Currently there are two ways to license Netbackup

1. Server Based - Legacy

2. Capacity Based - This model uses per TB licensing where the amount of capacity backup is the data you are protecting irrespective of type of data i.e. application/databases/VMs/etc.

If this is a new deployment you would probably go with capacity based license. A Symantec SE or Symantec partner would help you calculate the licenses you need to purchase

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Currently there are two ways to license Netbackup

1. Server Based - Legacy

2. Capacity Based - This model uses per TB licensing where the amount of capacity backup is the data you are protecting irrespective of type of data i.e. application/databases/VMs/etc.

If this is a new deployment you would probably go with capacity based license. A Symantec SE or Symantec partner would help you calculate the licenses you need to purchase

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Its licensed on physical host. You need a server or client license for each physical host If you're using an application on any vm that resides on a host you need an application & database agent.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

What Riaan mentioned is Server based licensing model of Netbcakup.

Roddy_Rodstein
Level 2

Gentelmen,

Thank y'all very much for your support! Thats just the information I was looking for.

I tried to call Symantec to get an answer. After 45 frusterating minutes getting transfered between 8 different people that all had no clue, I gave up. Intresting that 8 Symantec employees could not answer a Symantec licenisng question, or transfer me to someone at Symantec that could answer a licensing questions, or pronaounce Oracle VM, which is a tipical mistake, i.e. you mean Oracle VMWare :)

Thank you again for your support!

Respectfully