cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Local Client Install

dpower
Level 3
Running NetBackup 6.5.4 on RedHat AS 4

I've already installed the master server portion and I'm attempting to install the client portion.  From what I can tell you need to go to the /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6 or RedHat 2.4 folder.  Inside that folder there is a file called install_client.  However when I excute "./install_client hostname" I get the following

install_client requires execution with an absolute path.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
When you install the Master or Media server software onto a server, it automatically installs the client binaries at the same time.

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290199.htm for more details on installing NetBackup.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Kind of ...

To install the server, you have to install the client first.

However, if the OP is installing the client on a 'real' client and is having that issue, the solution is to give the full path to the install file.

eg.

/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6/install_client

Martin

Stumpr2
Level 6
Yeah that was a kinda dumb question. I'm glad someone deleted it for me so that I wouldn't look bad :)

dpower
Level 3
The full path helped.  However when I kick off the install_client using the full path I get a Permission Denied - client xyz is not responding.  Are you sure I need to install the client first before I install the master server?  I'm going off of the install guide step by step.

Thanks.

dpower
Level 3
That's interesting.  I am looking at the manual on page 35/36 it says -

To install client type software on a master server
1 Mount the appropriate client CD or DVD.
2 Select the client type that you want to install and follow the prompts to install that client type.
3 Continue to select client types as necessary until all your client types have been installed, and then unmount the client CD or DVD.

Are you certain it installs the binaries at the same time?  Because the install guide has a seperate section for installing the client software on a master server vs installing the master server software.

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
So, how many servers are actually involved here? You said you'd already installed the Master, which comes with its own client binaries (as I mentioend). So that server is happy.

Are you saying you've got a second piece of hardware that you want to back up, and so need to install the client binaries on ? If so, possible options : 
1) Push the install from the Master.
     a) Add the client name to a policy. It doesn't matter what policy, could be entirely empty, it just has to be listed in one. Make sure the hardware/OS is correct though.
     b) Look at /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_client_files for the installation options needed. Your command will probably end up being something like "/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_client_files sftp myserver.domain.net root"

2) Install the client binaries via CD or giant installer (NetBackup_6.5_CLIENTS1, 2, or 3) directly onto the client server. Then apply patches to bring it up to date with whatever version is on your Master (6.5.4 I believe you said).

I absolutely recommend option #1 as the easiest. =) 

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
Some interesting details.

I've just looked over install_client_files shell script zand found interesting piece of code:

# Check to see if the client is the master (the local machine).
# Use bpclntcmd so we aren't fooled by virtual names.
# Don't install the server with files from itself.

${BP_BIN}/bpclntcmd -is_local_host ${client} > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
${ECHO} "
The client files are already on server ${client}.
"

So Symantec assumes that if you have Netbackup server installed on a host, NetBackup client is on that host too.

Just an observation from practice. :)