Level 3
Partner Accredited

NetBackup Enterprise Server 7.1.0.4

Master Server Windows 2008 R2 VM

Physical Media Server Windows 2008 R2 with MSDP

MS Exchange 2010 SP1 with GRT

Backup D2D2T using SLPs

Tape is HP LTO-5 with KMS encryption

NetBackup Backs up Exchange 2010  to disk  and recovers fine using GRT and messages are browseable.

Before the Copy to Tape NetBackup runs and Index of the backup data so that the backup on Tape is browseable ( GRT )

The problem is that this indexing process takes over 24hours and is affecting the offsiting of daily tapes.

Have logged a call with support and the repsonse has been to turn off indexing for the tape copy. This naturally speeds up the tape copy procedure

but the data on tape is no longer directly browseable to a GRT level. The negates the reason for doing GRTs in the first place for data on tape.

The other comment from support was that this process can be slow.

Data on disk normall held for 30 days. Held for 3 months on tape.

Has anyone seen similar behaviour, if so has upgrading to later verson made any difference or have any other changes speeded things up ?

I've checkdd the release notes for subsequent releases and have found no mention of performance improvemenets in this area.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Vinny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The only thing that I have found that dramatically improves this is to reduce the fragment size on your disk stirage unit

By default it is unrestricted - try reducing it to 5000MB, run the backup again and then see if the GRT duplication improves

Also try using a GRT Proxy Host for the duplications (or if you are already then try without one)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The only thing that I have found that dramatically improves this is to reduce the fragment size on your disk stirage unit

By default it is unrestricted - try reducing it to 5000MB, run the backup again and then see if the GRT duplication improves

Also try using a GRT Proxy Host for the duplications (or if you are already then try without one)

Hope this helps

sepaterom
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks Mark,

I am in the process of testing both of the above. Once we have the relevant details I will respond with the full findings.

Thanks for your responce.

Vinny