cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Master Server Migration from Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 R2 or Windows 2016 R2

sriramrane
Level 4

Hello All,

I would like to have experst advice from all of you folks on this 

Currently we have NetBackup Ent Server 8.2 running on Windows 2008 R2 as well 10 Media Servers running on Windows 2008 R2 and RHEL 7.

We are planning to migrate the NetBackup Master Server to New hardware as the old hardware is periodically failing or rebooting due to some hardware errors. 

Our plan is to Deploy the Windows 2012 R2 or Windows 2016 R2 and deploy NetBackup 9.1 on new hardware and do the catalog recovery from the old NBU server keeping the same hostname and IP on new server. 

I would like to have your expert advice, whether this is possible or advisible or recommended by Veritas to do  so. I have read couple of KBs and articles from Veritas portal as well from third party artciles, which has mentioned that the OS, Hostname need to be same on the new hardware while doing tech refresh of the hardware. 

Now I have two options to choose:

Option 1:  In-place Upgrade the unreliable hardware with Windows 2012 R2 and then Upgrade NBU to 9.1  and then deploy Windows 2012 R2 on new server and do the catalog recovery for Netbackup Master Server keeping same hostname.

Option 2: Do a full catalog backups from old NBU Master Server (which is running on Windows 2008 R2). Deploy Windows 2012 R2 or Windows 2016 R2 on New Hardware and full do a full catalog recovery on new server keeping same hostname.   

I would highly appreciate your suggestions here.

Thanks,

Rane

Rane
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, it will not work
You can restore netbackup database only to the same version

My approach is

• install a new windows 2019 or 2016 with a temp name. do not install 2012. it will be EOL soon.
  • stop all backups. Do a catalog backup of 8.2 to basic disk or tape. Do not use advanced or deduplication disks.
  • Stop netbackup and veritas PBX services. Disable veritas PBX
  • remove server from the domain and change the IP, just to have it online in case you need it.
  • rename the new server using the netbackup host name and add it to domain. configure the netbackup IP.
  • If the catalog is on disk, present or copy the disk to the system.
  • install netbackup 8.2.
  • recover netbackup database.
  • test the server
  • use the server with 8.2 for one or two days
  • upgrade to 9.1

I do not recommend to move and upgrade the same day. If there is any problem, you do not know what step to blame

test it to a test environment before the actual migration

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

StefanosM
Level 6

I always first move the software and then upgrade.

How big is your database?
and what is the time duration of the catalog backup?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi StefanosM,

Database size is around 1.2TB and Full Catalog will take approx 5 hours 

Thanks

Rane

Rane

StefanosM
Level 6

so, keep in mind that the downtime will be 10 to 12 hours.

Hi Quebek,

Yes, I did reviewed those links which you have shared. the Option 1, which I have mentioned in my query reflect the solution based on same article. 

I am keen on the Option 1, where I just need to move calaogs and do full catalog recovery on new server with later version of the OS than the current Windows 2008 R2. 

Exploring the possibilities to curtile time for hardware refresh and efforts required in entire activities.

Thanks

Rane

Rane

Hi StefanosM,

I have simulated the in-place upgrade and migrating the server in to newer system in our test environment. It took more than a day to successfully test it. But, my question is whether the fully catalog recovery from NBU 8.2 on Windows 2008 R2 to NBU 9.1 on Windows 2012 R2 or Windows 2016 R2 will work? or NBU doesnt recognizes the catalogs from the previous versions unless ugraded on same host?

Thanks

Rane

Rane

StefanosM
Level 6

No, it will not work
You can restore netbackup database only to the same version

My approach is

• install a new windows 2019 or 2016 with a temp name. do not install 2012. it will be EOL soon.
  • stop all backups. Do a catalog backup of 8.2 to basic disk or tape. Do not use advanced or deduplication disks.
  • Stop netbackup and veritas PBX services. Disable veritas PBX
  • remove server from the domain and change the IP, just to have it online in case you need it.
  • rename the new server using the netbackup host name and add it to domain. configure the netbackup IP.
  • If the catalog is on disk, present or copy the disk to the system.
  • install netbackup 8.2.
  • recover netbackup database.
  • test the server
  • use the server with 8.2 for one or two days
  • upgrade to 9.1

I do not recommend to move and upgrade the same day. If there is any problem, you do not know what step to blame

test it to a test environment before the actual migration

I totally agree with you. I just need to give a try in my test environment. 

Rane

I have taken a Catalog backup on Basic Disk Storage Unit. Do we need to reconfigure the Basic Disk Storage Unit on New Netbackup Server prior to Catalog Recovery? or Any other configuration need to be copied from old server to new server, to make it available in new server without reconfiguration

In case, if we need to recreate the Basic Storage Unit in new server, where the Catalog Backups are taken from existing server, will there be any issues like wiping out data from disk after creating a Storage Unit. Just wanted to make sure there wont be any data loss after presenting the Catalog Backup Disk to new server for recovery.

Thanks

Rane

StefanosM
Level 6

no you do not need to create a storage unit

just mount the disk to the same drive letter.