cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Master Server configuration lost

GHas
Level 4

My Veritas NetBackup 6.5 Windows server BACKUP01 was hung up and after the server was shutdown and rebooted:

The Administration Console GUI launches and has the following errors if almost anything is selected:

Unable to read configuration: cannot connect on socket (25)
Unable to connect to the EMM server. The EMM server failed to process the request (78)
Error connecting to oprd on Bkup-01: cannot connect to vmd (70)

Server BACKUP01 was configured as the master and media server, but now the Administration Console GUI (upper left corner) shows the server as Bkup-01 and as a media server instead of master server.

Any ideas as to why that may have changed? Perhaps a corrupted configuration?
I am currently researching the issue but any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and correct the problem would be most welcome.

GH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GHas
Level 4

Marianne,

Editing the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config and correcting the browser, client-name has resolved the problem.

One interesting note were the incorrect names in both the Browser and Client-Name fields. The names were actual client names.

The EMMServer and Server field names were correct.

Now they all match and all is well.

bpps command showed that bpdown and bpup ran without error.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated, Marianne.

GH

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hopefully you have a recent Catalog backup?
And hopefully plans to upgrade NBU in the near future as NBU 6.x ran out of support in 2012?

To troubleshoot your current issue, please check the output of following commands from cmd on this server:

hostname

bpclntcmd -self
(command is in ..Veritas\netbackup\bin)

Also check the Server entry in registry under HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Look like EMM is unable to start  - this is why you are seeing the errors.

run a "nbdb_ping"

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO43709

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

the server_entries.txt file shows several servers, with the good server last in the list.

Use regedt32 (not regedit) to have a look a Server entries on the master:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config.

The master must be first. (top of the list)

Move the master name to the top of the list if not there.

Open cmd and navigate to ..\netbackup\bin\admincmd.

Stop NBU with: 'bpdown -f -v'

Wait till all processes/services have terminated. 
Verify with '..\bpps' command

Start NBU with: 'bpup -f -v'

Show us the output of bpup as well as output of '..\bpps'
(bpps is in netbackup\bin)

If services like nbemm, Request Service, Database manager, Job manager, etc. starts and stay running, all should be good.

GHas
Level 4

When I ran hostname  the response was BACKUP01, which is the server name but not what the admin console shows now.

To verify current configuration I ran  bfgetconfig -M  BACKUP01 SERVER server_entries.txt

The server_entries.txt file shows several servers, with the good server last in the list.

A mismatch correctable by bpsetconfig I understand. I am looking into that option.

GHas
Level 4

Marianne,

Editing the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config and correcting the browser, client-name has resolved the problem.

One interesting note were the incorrect names in both the Browser and Client-Name fields. The names were actual client names.

The EMMServer and Server field names were correct.

Now they all match and all is well.

bpps command showed that bpdown and bpup ran without error.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated, Marianne.

GH