cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Master Server is not Supported on Oracle Linux

sandaru
Level 3

Newer versions of NetBackup Master server is not Supported on Oracle Linux, even though it is supported on CentOS and RedHat.

Is there any specific reason why NetBackup master is not supported only on Oracle Linux? Because Oracle Linux, CentOS and RHEL have the same/similar architecture. 

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hard to say as end customer - but if was supposed to make a guess it would boil down to:

• Small install base in the market
  • Limit the number of distributions support has to know about
  • Back2Back agreement with Oracle - either Oracle doesn't provide a  back2back agreement, or its so expensive Veritas won't pay.

Maybe @davidmoline can add some extra details ?

Best Regards
Nicolai

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @sandaru 

You kind of answer the question yourself. Although the architecture is similar it is not the same. There is cost and effort required to support different operating systems. This is the same reasoning as to why HP-UX and AIX have been dropped as supported operating systems for NetBackup servers.

I am not able to what will or may happen, but up until now I thiink there was not a sufficient footprint of the operating system to justify qualifying Oracle Linux. If this changes then the effort may be made. Making noises to your local account representatives can help to create the necessary push to make it happen.

Hope this helps. 

Regards
David

Hi @Nicolai/@davidmoline 

Thanks for your explanation.

Regards,

Sandaru

DPeaco
   VIP   

And support for CentOS is also going away for master/media servers.

Thanks,
Dennis

arodriguez
Level 1

Curious that it is admitted for media servers and NOT for the primary. I still don't understand the reason.

Regards.