cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Master and Media Server on same host

JonWard
Level 3
Partner

I am installing NetBackup v7.7.1 to a RedHat LINUX server with no plans for a separate host to serve as a Media server.   An existing installation we have, has the same configuration (i.e. all on one host) but with a Media Server defined (on the same host).  

When just using one host, do we have to specify a Media server (although on same host as master server)?  If we don't, what are the pros and cons of specifying one installed to the same host as the master server?

Also, it is advised to allocate 8Gb memory to run NetBackup Master server and 4Gb for a media server.    Is it still advisable to install 8+4Gb memory if we just install a master server or if we have a master and media server on the same host?

Any help appreciate.

Jon Ward

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you install the master, it 'automatically' becomes a media server as soon as you configure storage.

From my master/media

root@womble split2 $ nbemmcmd -listhosts
NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.6.1.2
The following hosts were found:
server           womble
master           womble
api              womble
Command completed successfully.

...you can see no media server specidied, but it has both tape and disk storage.

Personally I'd go for 12GB.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you install the master, it 'automatically' becomes a media server as soon as you configure storage.

From my master/media

root@womble split2 $ nbemmcmd -listhosts
NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.6.1.2
The following hosts were found:
server           womble
master           womble
api              womble
Command completed successfully.

...you can see no media server specidied, but it has both tape and disk storage.

Personally I'd go for 12GB.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi Jon - 8 GB is probably just enough to handle a couple of backup clients and not too long a retention, and not very much (maybe none) MSDP dedupe.  I agree with Martin that 12GB is better starting amount - but be prepared to add more RAM if you'll be backing up a fair few backup clients - but especially be prepared to add more RAM if you'll be doing MSDP dedupe on the same master/media server.

Have you previously found the NetBackup Planning and Sizing Guide?

There are two principal types of NetBackup software install:

1) NetBackup Server - which can be configured to be master, master/media, or media.  When NetBackup Server is being installed you will be asked whether the server will be a Master server or a Media server.  If you want your server to become a Master/Media server, then choose to install a "Master Server", which... as Martin has said, will become a Master/Media as soon as you configure any storage units on the Master Server.

2) NetBackup Client - which can be configured to act/behave/perform in one or more of these roles:   plain client, SAN FT client, Enterprise Client, VM proxy backup server, database agent client... (all of which depend upon licensing).

JonWard
Level 3
Partner

Thank you all for clarifying this topic for me, it has been a great help.

I will be installing it as a 'master/media' server.  Initially it will just be backing up a few ESX clients using the VMWare backup policy type, but I will allocate 12Gb of memory to facilitate future growth/load with the addition of backup clients.

Thanks again.

Jon
Malvern, UK

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I could not get a Netbackup master/media 7.6 server server in a test lab to run with 8GB, it would fail after a week or two with memory allocation errors. Go for at least 12GB, consider to use 16GB.

It used to run OK with 8GB using Netbackup <7.6.0.4

Just to tell memory requirements have been increased lately.

JonWard
Level 3
Partner

Thank you all for the advice.