cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Media Server and date bumping

Doctorski
Level 5

Hi,

I have a requirement which will require the system date to be bumped into the future (and back again) on one of my media servers, backups taken, the date bumped forward again etc etc.

Has anybody done anything like this ? Would it work ? Assuming the Master generates the backupid, could it work ?

Thanks in anticipation for any information.

- Darren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Keyword is 'sort of good' and 'may' work, but you will still have to search the date range that is known by the master server. i.e. the actual date that the backup was taken.

I would not recommend taking backups this way.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne

Understanding the reason for such requests help us to provide better assistance.

Will the media server backup its own data or client data? 
Or data on a client with date in the future?

You are right - the problem will be with backup id and catalog entries along with retentions on the master server.

Backups will probably work, but you will have endless issues with restores. How would anyone know that client backup done for 'date in the future' will have timestamp/backup date of 25 Sept on the master server?

Agent backups will probably fail. Oracle rman backups need to confirm successful backup on the master and will need output based on client's date and time.

Doctorski
Level 5

Hi Marianne,

Just got wind of the requirements so not fully sure of what is wanted at the moment.

I now suspect it will be client based backups (not media server), no agent stuff. There will be some VM's involved so snapshotting these should be pretty simple.

One idea I had was to populate the keyword field to identify the "future date" of the backup.

Thanks for the input.

- Darren

Marianne

Keyword is 'sort of good' and 'may' work, but you will still have to search the date range that is known by the master server. i.e. the actual date that the backup was taken.

I would not recommend taking backups this way.