cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Media Server connect to Master server through difrenet network.

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All,

We have a Master Server running RHel 6.1 and NetBackup 7.7.1 currently has two network let say 10.50 (using class B like netmask) for production and 10.41 for NetBackup or we said backup network. The Master also clustered with physical name and virtual name. The virtual name let say name EBBCK also the name of EMMSERVER (it is in 10.41)

All of sudden the management decide there will be a bunch of server need to backup but not belong to our department, and it will have its own media server that need to be connected to the master server. Since they are not from the same department the manager doesn't want it connect to 10.41 because it can direct expose to all servers on the 10.41 network. 10.41 network is not routable network or doesn't have any firewall.

My question:

1. is it possible I route their media server to connect to master server using 10.50 network?
    (Notes: there is no cluster virtual name on 10.50 so I am thinking should be ok, during the system move to other server I just change the ip of media server)
  2. What could be the name of EMMSERV should it be EBBCK too (with the manipulation of IP on the media server)?
  3. Is there any better way?

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Iwan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified
  1. is it possible I route their media server to connect to master server using 10.50 network?
    (Notes: there is no cluster virtual name on 10.50 so I am thinking should be ok, during the system move to other server I just change the ip of media server)

Yes, as long as both networks has the communications over the ports 1556, 13782,13724, if there is a firewall between the 10.50 network and other new departmetn netowrk , talk to your network and fierwall team and open the required ports bi-directional.

once the required oports are open add the other department media server under your currnet master server as you are adding new Media server ( hoping Other departent clients does not have any valid images that we need to care about)

2. What could be the name of EMMSERV should it be EBBCK too (with the manipulation of IP on the media server)?

it would be the same entry that you see in the master server bp.conf

1. Is there any better way?

configuring other deparment media server under media server and take the backups of those clients using the same media serrver, provided it has its own storage... ( need to confiured under current master server once the media server is added)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes, as long as both networks has the communications over the ports 1556, 13782,13724, if there is a firewall between the 10.50 network and other new departmetn netowrk , talk to your network and fierwall team and open the required ports bi-directional.

once the required oports are open add the other department media server under your currnet master server as you are adding new Media server ( hoping Other departent clients does not have any valid images that we need to care about)

2. What could be the name of EMMSERV should it be EBBCK too (with the manipulation of IP on the media server)?

it would be the same entry that you see in the master server bp.conf

1. Is there any better way?

configuring other deparment media server under media server and take the backups of those clients using the same media serrver, provided it has its own storage... ( need to confiured under current master server once the media server is added)

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

RamNagalla,

Thanks for the answer.

Regards,

Iwan