Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup OST DataDomain

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi all,

Good day!

I just want to ask for your recommendation, suggestion, knowledge or thoughts regarding my Scenario.

Current Setup

Server: 1 x NBU Master/Media Server

Storage: EMC Data Domain as Storage

NBU version: 7.7.3

The objective is to restore the Catalog to the new Server (Hardware/Physical) with Windows Server 2016, will going to use the same IP and Hostname of old NBU Master/Media Server. Then if the restoration of Catalog to new Server become successful, will proceed to upgrade the NetBackup 7.7.3 to 8.1.1.

Question: Is there any problem to encounter with regards to my Storage (EMC DataDomain) once if we disconnect it to Old NBU Server and transfer it to New NBU Server? Or no issues since we use the same Hostname and IP of the Old Server?

Thank you and Best regards!

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello,

According to https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100022623.html, your hardware replacement should work fine.
No backuped data is handled locally on your netbackup server. Furthermore to access the dd diskpool you just need ddboost plugin, dd ip address and credentials. These informations are stored in Netbackup EMM db which is backed up by nbu-catalog policy type.
Do not forget to install the same ddboost plugin which you used on your previous netbackup Server before proceeding.
You may also open a preventive case before proceeding to the hardware refresh. This might help in case if something is going wrong

Hope it helps !

Best regards,

Elgringo

View solution in original post

Hi

One caveat you will need to upgrade your NetBackup version to one supported by Windows 2016 (min version suppored for NBU Server is 8.0) before you replace the hardware. The above post is otherwise good information for this.

If you check the 7.7.x NetBackup Software Compatibility List, you will see Windows 2016 is not a supported platform for NetBackup server (only NetBackup client).

Cheers
David

Genericus
   VIP   

I did a catalog backup to my data domain disk and was able to recover with no problems. And way faster than tape!

The only issue I found is that when you rebuld the data domain after recreating netbackup on the new system, the data domain may show up as a different disk value.

Look at your email - mine said the disk was aaaac. When you rebuild, it may be aaaad. You have to edit the catalog recovery file to match the NEW name, and it works like a champ.

Catalog Recovery Media

Media Server     Disk Image Path     Image File Required

* nbmaster         @aaaac              Catalog_local_1561370407_FULL

* nbmaster         @aaaac              Catalog_local_1561370427_FULL

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Genericus
   VIP   

My first upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1.2 failed due to the issue where if you have media servers at 7.6, the master core dumps on nbsl.

I had to delete 8.1.2 and reinstall netbackup 8.0, and when I rebuilt the connections to the data domain, it rebuit with a different value and I had to edit the hot_fix file to match.

Once I did that the catalog recovery of my 8.0 environment went like a champ, and everything came back.

7 REPLIES 7

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello,

According to https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100022623.html, your hardware replacement should work fine.
No backuped data is handled locally on your netbackup server. Furthermore to access the dd diskpool you just need ddboost plugin, dd ip address and credentials. These informations are stored in Netbackup EMM db which is backed up by nbu-catalog policy type.
Do not forget to install the same ddboost plugin which you used on your previous netbackup Server before proceeding.
You may also open a preventive case before proceeding to the hardware refresh. This might help in case if something is going wrong

Hope it helps !

Best regards,

Elgringo

Hi

One caveat you will need to upgrade your NetBackup version to one supported by Windows 2016 (min version suppored for NBU Server is 8.0) before you replace the hardware. The above post is otherwise good information for this.

If you check the 7.7.x NetBackup Software Compatibility List, you will see Windows 2016 is not a supported platform for NetBackup server (only NetBackup client).

Cheers
David

Hi @davidmoline ,

Good day!

Thank you for that, I've overlooked the SCL, maybe we need to upgrade the existing setup to 8.1.1 before we run the catalog and restore it to new server (Windows Server 2016)

Best regards!

Hi Sir @ElGringo ,

Thank you for your inputs, the TN looks like the best practice for my scenario.

Best regards!

Genericus
   VIP   

I did a catalog backup to my data domain disk and was able to recover with no problems. And way faster than tape!

The only issue I found is that when you rebuld the data domain after recreating netbackup on the new system, the data domain may show up as a different disk value.

Look at your email - mine said the disk was aaaac. When you rebuild, it may be aaaad. You have to edit the catalog recovery file to match the NEW name, and it works like a champ.

Catalog Recovery Media

Media Server     Disk Image Path     Image File Required

* nbmaster         @aaaac              Catalog_local_1561370407_FULL

* nbmaster         @aaaac              Catalog_local_1561370427_FULL

Hi @Genericus ,

Good day!

What do you mean rebuild?

Thanks and best regards!

Genericus
   VIP   

My first upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1.2 failed due to the issue where if you have media servers at 7.6, the master core dumps on nbsl.

I had to delete 8.1.2 and reinstall netbackup 8.0, and when I rebuilt the connections to the data domain, it rebuit with a different value and I had to edit the hot_fix file to match.

Once I did that the catalog recovery of my 8.0 environment went like a champ, and everything came back.