NetBackup Ops Center Reports

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am new to Ops Center. This is Standard Ops Center. Ops Center 7.1

I want to produce the same reports as on Admin console -

Status of backup

Clients Backups

on a daily basis reflecting the previous 24 Hours.

Then mail the reports to specific mail addresses.

How do I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AlanTLR
Level 5

ok it won't let me edit the comment, so I'm replying to my own.

Forgot to mention, to set up the report to automatically email every 24 hours, you need to set up a schedule, but first you should set up the monitor to only show what you want it to see (say, 24 hours previous).  Note that if you set it up to only show the report of backups within 24 hours, it will do just that, which means if your report normally runs at 7:00 and it somehow ran late (say, 7:30), then you miss 30 minutes of data.  On the safe side, I set mine to previous 30 hours.

From the tabular backup report, click on 'Edit Report.'  This edits the currently running report and doesn't affect the template.  Change the Timeframe to 'Previous' 30 'Hours', or whatever your preference is.

Set up whatever filters you need.  For most of my admins, I filter out all status 0 codes.  This is because, for some odd reason, they only care about the failures (I do run a monthly success report).  Click on Next, and arrange the columns as you see fit.  Click on Next, and you'll see a preview of your report.  If you click on Next, you can save your report and possibly put it in a folder for easy finding.  I separate mine out by Windows and Unix, but if you have different levels of SLA, you might want to make folders for those.  Or not.  If you didn't click on Next, you could have clicked on 'Run Report', and you can also save the report by clicking on the little disk icon at the top.

Once you have the report saved, you will want to schedule it.  In 7.1, the scheduling thing was new to me and a little confusing at first.  But simply, you create a time schedule, then you create a report schedule to run on that time schedule.  So, to schedule reports to run every 24 hours, say at 7:00 AM, you go to the Time Schedules tab under the Schedules tab (still under the Reports tab), and create a new schedule.  Then you go to the Report Schedules tab under the Schedules tab (still under the Reports tab (who programmed this?)), and create a new report schedule, selecting your Time Schedule to run your report.  Note that you can select multiple reports to run.

While the way of scheduling reports is a little confusing, it makes sense if you have many different customers who want different reports, but maybe at the same time.  (e.g.  Reports A, B, and C go to company X, while Reports A, C, and D go to Y, and maybe A, B, and C(subfilter1) go to Company Z).

Clear as mud, I'm sure.  Once you play around with it, it'll make more sense as you go along.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

in the console look under reports -- the report you want may be a standard then just set it up to run ( see manual)  or modify a standard report to be the way you want it. samve and and set it up to run daily.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

from reports, expand, Backup => Status => Job Details.

This gives enough info required on daily basis (except media id as for this u need to customize the report  - analytics required).

Choose Policy or Policy type or Client As report criteria and Save reports as per timeframe you want.

Now navigate to schedules and define your schedule when to mail this reports, i.e. daily basis one time weekly etc. specify time  (usually after your backups are completed. keep bufffer of 30 mins or an hour if backup didn't completed it won't show as in progress or active in report. . As report only shows successful or failed.)

Hope this will help you for your routine reporting work. I'd suggest you to surf thorough Ops center it's wonderful play with it.

AlanTLR
Level 5

Within OpsCenter, the one that I think is most like the Activity Monitor is the "Tabular Backup Report."  Click on the Reports Tab, then "Report Templates", then expand "Backup", and "Job Browser."  There you will find the Tabular Backup report.  It gives the following columns: Client Name,Job Duration (sec),Job End Time,Expiration Time,Job File Count,Throughput (KB/sec),Job Primary ID,Job Secondary ID,Schedule/Level Type,Master Server,Media Server,Policy Name,Job Type,Job Attempt Count,Schedule Name,Job Size(MB),Job Start Time,Exit Status,Job Error Code.

You can filter by Master Server, Media Server, Client (name, OS), Policy Attributes, And Job Attributes (state, status, ...)

For those targets of your reports, I would also recommend setting up Alert Policies.  I find these are great for notifying an admin if there's a failed backup of some critical backup system.  You can set these up from the Manage tab, then Alert Policies.  (Examples Below)

Drive is down

Alert when drive goes down.

Drive Down

Yes

Warning

Informational

Policy has been changed

A job policy has been changed.

Job Policy Change

Yes

Informational

ThreatCon High

Threatcon has been elevated to highest level

Threat Con

Yes

Major

Service has been stopped

-

Service Stopped

Yes

Warning

Low Media Available

Alert for when we are running low on available media

Low Number Of Available Media

Yes

Warning

Job Failed

Notification for all jobs failing.

Job Finalized

Yes

Warning

High Job Failure for Clients

This alerts for high job failure.

High Job Failure Rate

Yes

Major

HSP Backup Job Completed

-

Job Finalized

Yes

Informational

AlanTLR
Level 5

ok it won't let me edit the comment, so I'm replying to my own.

Forgot to mention, to set up the report to automatically email every 24 hours, you need to set up a schedule, but first you should set up the monitor to only show what you want it to see (say, 24 hours previous).  Note that if you set it up to only show the report of backups within 24 hours, it will do just that, which means if your report normally runs at 7:00 and it somehow ran late (say, 7:30), then you miss 30 minutes of data.  On the safe side, I set mine to previous 30 hours.

From the tabular backup report, click on 'Edit Report.'  This edits the currently running report and doesn't affect the template.  Change the Timeframe to 'Previous' 30 'Hours', or whatever your preference is.

Set up whatever filters you need.  For most of my admins, I filter out all status 0 codes.  This is because, for some odd reason, they only care about the failures (I do run a monthly success report).  Click on Next, and arrange the columns as you see fit.  Click on Next, and you'll see a preview of your report.  If you click on Next, you can save your report and possibly put it in a folder for easy finding.  I separate mine out by Windows and Unix, but if you have different levels of SLA, you might want to make folders for those.  Or not.  If you didn't click on Next, you could have clicked on 'Run Report', and you can also save the report by clicking on the little disk icon at the top.

Once you have the report saved, you will want to schedule it.  In 7.1, the scheduling thing was new to me and a little confusing at first.  But simply, you create a time schedule, then you create a report schedule to run on that time schedule.  So, to schedule reports to run every 24 hours, say at 7:00 AM, you go to the Time Schedules tab under the Schedules tab (still under the Reports tab), and create a new schedule.  Then you go to the Report Schedules tab under the Schedules tab (still under the Reports tab (who programmed this?)), and create a new report schedule, selecting your Time Schedule to run your report.  Note that you can select multiple reports to run.

While the way of scheduling reports is a little confusing, it makes sense if you have many different customers who want different reports, but maybe at the same time.  (e.g.  Reports A, B, and C go to company X, while Reports A, C, and D go to Y, and maybe A, B, and C(subfilter1) go to Company Z).

Clear as mud, I'm sure.  Once you play around with it, it'll make more sense as you go along.

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Cannot get mails to be sent.

When trying to mail report I see the following warning:

SMTP Server is unreachable or not configured properly

Hoe do I set this up?

Thank you

AlanTLR
Level 5

You can set up the SMTP server from the Settings tab.  Click on Settings, then click on the sub-tab Configuratoin, then 'SMTP Server'.  The sub-subtabs under Configuration are NetBackup, Agent, License, Data Purge, then SMTP Server (If you don't see it, you'll need to log in as 'admin').  Enter the FQDN of your mail server here, and the port that it runs on (usually 25).  Enter the Sender Display Name (e.g. your name), and the sender email address.  If your SMTP server doesn't allow relaying from your OpsCenter Server, you may want to set this to your email.  The emails will look as though they come from you, but this will also help in troubleshooting if you don't get the email.  Also, any bounced mail will go back to your email.

After you've set that up, setup a schedule to run a report within the next 5 or 10 minutes--maybe even 2 or three.  If you don't get the reports, let your mail server administrator know and have him/her check the logs.  If there isn't any trace of it in the logs, then you need to make sure your OpsCenter server can see the mail server, or at least talk to its port by logging into the console/terminal of the OpsCenter server and trying to ping or telnet to the mailserver or its port.

Hope this helps!

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited

They allowed the OPS Center server in the relays on the SMTP server.

And the mails work.

Just have to play around with the correct reports now. Will take some time.

Thank you

AlanTLR
Level 5

Glad to hear it!  Have fun with it!