cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Scheduling Priorites for Supersceeded jobs

jacksors
Level 4
I have my Policies setup and they have schedules for a variety of different schedules with associated retentions, like Daily, Weekly and Monthly.

My daily jobs are scheduled to run Sunday-Friday, weeklys are set to run on every Saturday and Monthly's set to run the last saturday of the month.

On that last Saturday of the month, both the weekly and monthly jobs are set to kick off. So how does NetBackup determine which job to run or does it run both?

In BackupExec there were rules defined that allowed to specify which job would take supersceed another if two were scheduled to run at the same day and time. I find no such setting in NetBackup and wanted to know how to properly configure my Policies/Jobs/Schedules to avoid kicking off too many jobs or not have the right job superceed another one.

I am running NetBackup 6.5.3 on Windows Server 2003 platform.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
6 REPLIES 6

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
6.5 tweaks some of this, but in general if they are all "frequency" schedules and they all have the same start window, then the one with the longest frequency will run.  If they have different start windows, then the one that opens first will run.  The one that opens next will probably queue.

So I usually want to make sure that each of my schedules has the same start window so the "weekly" will run on a day and that will keep my "daily" from starting.
--
Darren

Stumpr2
Level 6
How did you set up the monthly to run the last saturday of the month? Remember to NOT mix frequency and calendar based schedules in the same policy.

sudu_mlk
Level 5
Hello Stumpr,

what gonna happen if we mix frequency and calendar based schedule in the same policy?

Regards,
Sudarshan.  

Stumpr2
Level 6
The incremental backup is acting as a full backup when the full schedule is frequency based and the incremental schedule is calendar based
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303314.htm

Details:
Conditions:
A policy was created with one Full schedule using frequency based scheduling, and one differential incremental schedule using calendar based scheduling.
A full backup was done successfully.
Some files were change on the client.
The incremental backup schedule was run.
The incremental back schedule backed up all files as if it were a full backup, not just the files that were changed since the last full backup.
Solution:
The NetBackup 6.5 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Volume 1, page 129 includes the following paragraph.
A policy can contain more than one schedule. VERITAS recommends, however, that you do not mix calendar-based and frequency-based schedule types within the same policy. Under some conditions, combining the schedule types can cause unexpected results.
The behavior seen in the test above demonstrates the unexpected results mentioned in that recommendation.
The conclusion is that a policy should not mix frequency and calendar schedules. The schedules in a policy should be either all frequency based schedules or all calendar based schedules.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
... a lot of our policies have been set up for years (from 4.5, thru' 5.1 to 6.5.1) with a mixture of frequency-based & calendar-based schedules as follows & run successfully:

Mon-Fri Differential Incrementals (frequency based)
Sat Cumulative Differentials (frequency based)
Monthly Full (Last Saturday of month & calendar based)

so have always wondered about this not mixing issue!

***Edit***

Coincidentally, you may find the following blog & link just posted by TimBur interesting: Random Links

jacksors
Level 4
Thanks for all the replies.

Darren,

If I understand you correctly. If I have my Weekly and Monthly job set to start at the same time (All of my jobs are calendar based, by the way), then the one with the longest retention time will take presedence and run? So my Montly job will start and my weekly will just be skipped?

Across the board, my daily incrementals, weekly and monthly fulls are set to start at the same time for that policy. I've setup my daily's to fun Sat-Thur and my Fulls to run on Fri. I set the scheduled to run on "Recurring week days". My dailys are not set to run on Fridays, my Weekly fulls are set to run only on Fridays and my montly full is set to run on the last Friday of every month.

This weekend is the first time that we will have the Monthly and Weekly full set to kick off and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be running 2 full jobs for each server and wanted to make sure that my monthly took priority over the weekly.

Does my setup sound like this is what will happen?

Thanks everyone.