cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup TLD Control Daemon Event Detail: TLD(1) Mode_sense error

NevilleW
Level 2

1 Netbackup 6.5.2a Master/Media server running on Windows 2003 Std SP2.

1 Quantum Tape library. 

Hi, every several months we have an issue with respect to our staging disk to tape duplications and

our tape library.

What we notice after the issue happens is, all 4 of our tape drives in our library are down.

To get out of this situation, we shut down the library, shut down the netbackup master/media server

(in our case it is 1 server) and then turn on the library and then the netbackup server.

Usually at this point, we can bring up the drives (although sometimes a second set of reboots is needed).

As well, there is 1 or more tapes in the tape drives which we need to move via the library console.

In the windows application log, we see the following error entries:

------------------------------------------

Log: APPLICATION (#11271)

Event ID: 13943

Event Time: Tue Dec 30 04:00:16 AM

Event Category: None

Severity: Error

Event User: N/A

Event Source: NetBackup TLD Control Daemon Event Detail: TLD(1) Mode_sense error

Log: APPLICATION (#11270)

Event ID: 13942

Event Source: NetBackup TLD Control Daemon Event Detail: TLD(1) key = 0x4, asc = 0x44, ascq = 0x0, INTERNAL TARGET FAILURE

Log: APPLICATION (#11271)

Event ID: 13943

Event Source: NetBackup TLD Control Daemon Event Detail: TLD(1) Mode_sense error

After talking to a symantec tech support rep, I was given a below suggested method to rectify:

On fiber-attached libraries we have an issue that may cause the drives to go offline, and that is if a parameter is enabled on your fiber HBAs that is called Target Reset. If this resets your tape drive in the middle of a back, the backup job will abort, the tape will be left in the drive because the drive does not get the rewind and unload commands from the application, and when the next backup job starts and looks at the drive it finds the drive in a not ready state because the tape is in there and the drive will be marked offline by the application.

Can I get a hand from people that have/had similar issues. I can provide more detail if you would like. Your help would

be much appreciated.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

did they solve it finally?

if so please share the details...

NevilleW
Level 2
We haven't implemented the item presented yet (and actually it was a tech from Quantum that gave it) thatgave the possible solution... I just wanted to get some incite from other people before implementing it... Are you having a similar issue?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Are you asking if disabling the target reset is a good solution?

NevilleW
Level 2

Hello Stumpr, I'm looking for some incite to see if people have

a) experienced this issue

b) corrected this issue

c) if people have had experience with the target reset solution.

Before implementing this, I'd like to gather some info.

Thanks for your reply. If you know anything, please let me know. Thanks.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Older versions of NetBackup had problems with SCSi reset, tape library cleaning, and misconfiguration of SSO drives cause similiar problems.

NevilleW
Level 2

Can you provide some more details Stumpr....

We are using 6.5.2a but it was upgraded from 5.1MP6 (which also had the problem)..

Regarding the tape library cleaning, do you have more info on this? I've noticed that the drives

haven't been cleaned for some time. Could it be possible this issue is happening during a drive cleaning

event?

Thanks.

Stumpr2
Level 6

i don't remember the specifics as it was too many clients and too many nights have passed :)

Check the knowledge base search engine.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/overview.jsp?pid=15143