cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Virtual Appliance compatibility with vSphere 6.5

PetaM
Level 2

Hi,

we are considering deploying NetBackup for a newly installed VMware infrastructure. It's fully virtualized environment and we planned to use NetBackup Virtual Appliances - for both Master server and Backup media server. The installed vSphere version is 6.5 and we would use appliances ver. 3.1.2.

However the documentation says, in section "Notes on NetBackup Virtual Appliance as a VMware backup host", that "The appliance supports vSphere versions 5.5 and 6.0".

Does this mean the appliance is supported as a backup host in vSphere 6.0 and old 5.5 but NOT 6.5? It wouldn't be very nice. Does anyone have any experience using virtual appliances in vSphere 6.5 environment? I went through Software Compatibility List but it wasn't very helpful as details for Netbackup appliances as backup hosts are missing.

Thanks,

Petr

6 REPLIES 6

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I recommend to doublecheck this with support. it sounds like obsolete information, because traditional RedHat (OS on which appliances are based) supports vSphere up to 6.7 as a backup host.

Attention - Virtual Appliance (VA) in master server role does not support remote Media Servers, so you cannot build up NetBackup domain in this way. You must have either traditional Master Server with VA's as Media Servers, or have one all-in-one VA serving as both Master and Media.

Regards

Michal

Hi, thanks for your reply! I was hoping it might be obsolete information. Checking with support would be reasonable indeed. As we currently don't have any contract with Veritas I am having some problems reaching out to the support team. :|

Regarding the Netbackup domain - are you sure abut this? I thought it should be possible to use one VA as a master server and another VA as a media sever for data centers - at least that's how I understood the VA documentation:

"The appliance software supports the following additional features depending on the virtual appliance type.

Master server

• Adding media servers to the NetBackup domain.

You can add media servers to this master server. The master server manages backups, archives, and restores."

Marianne

@PetaM 

I find this documented limitation very worrying and confusing, since Virtual an Physical appliances on 3.1.2 equates to NBU 8.1.2 that supports up to vSphere 6.7 U1.

I see that NBU Appliances are ONLY mentionted in the 8.x SCL as being supported with NBU 8.0 / 3.0.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the security enhancements from 8.1/3.1 onwards....

Since you are at a stage where you are looking for solutions, it is extremely important that you work with a knowledgeable reseller who in turn has a close relationship with the local Veritas SE.
I feel that these limitations and omissions from the SCL must be brought to the attention of Product Management.
I honestly doubt that Support will have answers.... 

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

information about remote Media's is from here:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/123437325-128638920-0/v122565720-128638920

You cannot add additional media servers to the NetBackup Virtual Appliance combined master and media server for remote offices and branch offices (ROBO).

regards

Michal

Marianne

@Michal_Mikulik1 

Veritas added some new Virtual Appliance offerings: 
There is a new Virtual Master that is a 'master only'. No Advanced disk or MSDP.
There is a different OVA download file for this. 
There is also a Cloud Catalyst VA.

The link posted above (3.1.2 documentation) says: 

Additional features

The appliance software supports the following additional features depending on the virtual appliance type.

Master server                  ###    Master only

• Adding media servers to the NetBackup domain.
    You can add media servers to this master server. The master server manages backups, archives, and restores.

Combined master and media server      ### ROBO 
 - Media Server Deduplication Pool (MSDP) storage.
- AdvancedDisk storage.

Media server

CloudCatalyst

Unfortunately this was not published very well and there is nothing about this in the 8.1.2 Licensing Guide.
I only got to know about this a couple of weeks ago. 

Michal_Mikulik1

Ok thanks for current info.

regards

M.