cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Virtual Machine Recovery fails

doofer
Level 2

I have setup a DR environment (built a new NetBackup server with same version, name and install path as production, imported the DR catalog) and I am attempting to restore VMware backups from a NetBackup 7.6.0.3 Master Server. So far I have:

• Given the NetBackup server VMware access via NetBackup Management > Host Properties > Master Servers > VMware Access Hosts
  • Added the VMware target server (standalone ESXi 5.5 host not connected to vCenter) by FQDN (added to NetBackup server based on the output of the "hostname" command run on the ESXi host including upper/lower casing)
    • Tried adding as "VMware ESX server" and "Recovery ESX server"
    • Used root credentials
    • Tried with no port number and with 443
  • When selecting "Restore" for the virtual backup and "Alternate location" the following occurs:
    • Initially an error occurs as the default settings are of a NetBackup server which doesn't exist in the DR environment which is as expected
    • After selecting the correct NetBackup server and selecting "None" for vCenter server the "ESX server" field is automatically populated with my ESXi host in the DR environment
    • The following errors then appear:
      • Retrieving details of resource pools - Failed system call failed ( 11 )
      • Retrieving details of data stores - Failed system call failed ( 11 )

I am then not able to progress any further. I have tried a few things based on this post: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-select-datastore-netbackup-vmware-restore

• In Backup, Archive& Restore changed the values in the Troubleshooting tab - general to 2 and verbose to 5.
  • Browsed to c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\logs\bpvmutil\ and deleted everything in the folder
  • Added a DWORD vmcloglevel and set it to 3 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\BACKUP\
  • Added the string value disableFQDN under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\BACKUP

I have included the bpVMutil log. The ESXi server I am trying to restore to is called NZAKL3SREVH08. Can someone assist me in troubleshooting this issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

doofer
Level 2

For anyone else that has this issue, it was due to a known bug in 7.6.0.3. The fix was to upgrade to 7.6.0.4 as per this article: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH224930.html

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

What I would suggest you do is create a VM on the ESX and then back it up. That will highlight if your setup is functioning correct (name resolution, permissions etc). Once you have that done, look at the restore again.

Yogesh_Patil
Level 4

Hi,

For VM restoration below check point need to be verify before restoration.

1) VCenter connectivity with Media server.

2) Destination ESXi host connetivity with Media server.

3) Destination Storage connectivity with Destination ESXi host.

4) Check the transport modes connectivity.

After that start to restore VM.

doofer
Level 2

For anyone else that has this issue, it was due to a known bug in 7.6.0.3. The fix was to upgrade to 7.6.0.4 as per this article: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH224930.html

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Thank you for the update.