cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup and Monthly backups...

mastashake57
Level 3
A question to all the NetBackup Gurus....

I want to schedule a policy with only monthly backups on it.  I want it to run on the last Friday, Saturday and Sunday of every month.  Am I correct in assuming that if I just select the last Friday of the month in the "Calendar Schedule / Recurring Week Days" window coupled with a "Start Window" of Friday @ 6:00 PM to Monday @ 6:00 AM, that it will use the ENTIRE weekend to backup and not just Friday?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Check the following extract from "NetBackup Admin Guide":

"... Backup frequency determines schedule priority
If more than one automatic schedule is due for a client within a policy, the backup frequency determines the schedule that NetBackup uses:
■ Jobs from the schedule with the lower frequency (longer period between backups) always have higher priority. For example, a schedule with a backup frequency of one year has priority over a schedule with a backup frequency of one month.
■ If NetBackup encounters a backup policy with two schedules (one full, one incremental) that are each due to run:
   ■ if each is within the defined time window, and
   ■ if each is configured with the same frequency value,
   the schedule that is first alphabetically runs first.

For example, NetBackup prioritizes the following three schedules in the following order:
1 monthly_full (frequency is one month)
2 weekly_full (frequency is two weeks)
3 daily_incremental (frequency is one week)

If all three schedules are due for a client, NetBackup adds the job for the monthly full to the worklist and skips the other two. ....."

So if your weekly Fulls run each week & your monthly Fulls once a month (yearlys once a year etc) then they should run as you are expecting: yearlys priority over monthlys, monthlys priority over weeklys.

That's how ours are set up & it does work!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Clayton_Walter
Level 4
That is correct - the Friday that you are checking is just the day that the job is allowed to get queued up.  The job can run as long as you want until it's completed.  The start window that you set is amount of time the job can sit in the queued state before starting or the window when the job can restart automatically if it fails.

mastashake57
Level 3
That's what I thought.  Thank you VERY much for your input...

To add a little bit to the question... I'm looking for some ideas as to how people deal with weekly FULLS and monthly FULLS.  Both of those tasks in my environment start at the same time (6:00 PM) on a Friday.  My thinking was to set the monthly tape job a higher job priority.  Is that the right way to do it?

Just looking for what everbody else does...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Check the following extract from "NetBackup Admin Guide":

"... Backup frequency determines schedule priority
If more than one automatic schedule is due for a client within a policy, the backup frequency determines the schedule that NetBackup uses:
■ Jobs from the schedule with the lower frequency (longer period between backups) always have higher priority. For example, a schedule with a backup frequency of one year has priority over a schedule with a backup frequency of one month.
■ If NetBackup encounters a backup policy with two schedules (one full, one incremental) that are each due to run:
   ■ if each is within the defined time window, and
   ■ if each is configured with the same frequency value,
   the schedule that is first alphabetically runs first.

For example, NetBackup prioritizes the following three schedules in the following order:
1 monthly_full (frequency is one month)
2 weekly_full (frequency is two weeks)
3 daily_incremental (frequency is one week)

If all three schedules are due for a client, NetBackup adds the job for the monthly full to the worklist and skips the other two. ....."

So if your weekly Fulls run each week & your monthly Fulls once a month (yearlys once a year etc) then they should run as you are expecting: yearlys priority over monthlys, monthlys priority over weeklys.

That's how ours are set up & it does work!

mastashake57
Level 3
Thank you very much Andy and Clayton!  You guys have set me on the right course.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Don't be afraid to mix them up. I use frequency based scheduling for some policies and I use calendar based scheduling for other policies.

mastashake57
Level 3
Already on it, Stumpr...
Thanks!