cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup and TSM 6.2 running on DELL PowerEdge R710

tod_jackson
Level 3

Good Morning everyone. Has anyone built a server to run both NetBackup 7.1 and TSM 6.2 on a DELL PowerEdge R710 server or something similar. I am curious of how many fiber adapters, memory and disk space had been allocated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tod

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tod_jackson
Level 3

Thank you all for the comments. I believe that it will not work because of the I/O contentions, CPU, Memory issues. But the team would like to give it an attempt. So we will try in a test environment and see what happens. Credit goes to all of the commenters that replied to my question. Each person stated that it would not work to have to backup solutions working at the same time. Our management stillw ants to try though. So instead of keeping the question open I choose to state that a "Solution was found" even though a solution was not found. Again thank you.

Tod

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You will probably encounter performance issues running both on the same box. Disk IO will probably be the biggest issue. While I am not finding, at the moment, any documentation stating that running 2 different backup platforms on the same box is a bad idea, its pretty much discouraged when looking though the connect fourms.

tod_jackson
Level 3

Thank you for your reply. Yeah I totally agree with the Disk I/O contention issue that will occur. I am trying to get help to build a case stating that this isn't a good idea.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Two backup application will not give you twice the performance. Both TSM and NBU dedupe features require lots of memory and CPU cycles. 

What is the intend of the system - full production or backup of a couple of servers ?

I think the size of backup data makes the difference between acceptable solution and something that not "best practice".

tod_jackson
Level 3

Thanks Nicolai for responding. The inent is to try and run both applications in a test environment. The intent is to run scheduled backups of servers. Looking for a acceptable solution and trying tor educe the foot print of numerous TSM / NetBackup servers. So we will see where this goes.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Symantec says in the Installation Guide that all other backup software must be uninstalled before NBU can be installed.

Each backup product has its own database that will attempt to use all available system resource and will assume sole control of all backup resources and devices.

Most definately not a good idea and not recommended.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I knew it was somewhere, but for the life of me I could not find it. Thank you for finding that!

Remove any other vendor’s backup software currently
configured on your system.The backup software of another
vendor can negatively affect how NetBackup installs and
functions.

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Champions have already suggested! 

I would suggest if you are testing and if you have plenty of time for the testing then test one by one applications and observed the performance.

Running both the application at the same time is neither recommended nor it will gives you the performance and benifits.

Technically it wont help. You will lost in the world of error status of IBM and us.

tod_jackson
Level 3

Thank you all for the comments. I believe that it will not work because of the I/O contentions, CPU, Memory issues. But the team would like to give it an attempt. So we will try in a test environment and see what happens. Credit goes to all of the commenters that replied to my question. Each person stated that it would not work to have to backup solutions working at the same time. Our management stillw ants to try though. So instead of keeping the question open I choose to state that a "Solution was found" even though a solution was not found. Again thank you.

Tod