cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup backup speed in 10Gbps network is slower than in 1Gbps

tan_chiaw_wei
Level 2

Hi all,

Recently, my NetBackup 8.1 (installed on Windows Server 2012 R2) suddenly runs at very slow speed (~40% less than its optimal speed).

After some troubleshootings, I discovered that if I downgraded it to 1Gbps from 10Gbps (simply swapping the transceiver of 10Gbps SFP+ with 1Gbps SFP, refer pic below), the speed recovered back to its optimal speed.

And swapping the transceivers is the ONLY thing I do. Any idea?

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

I would have asked network folks to check the port settings with the 1 Gbps and 10 Gbps SFP and compare these. maybe there is being changed anything. Also please see from host side for duplex/speed....

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Bad network cable or SFP+. Try cleaning  fiber optics first with a approve cleaning kit.

By downgrading to 1Gps, the numbers of bad transmissions will be reduced, since 1Gps is less sensitive to bad fiber optics than 10Gps. You should ask a network admin to look at the issue. 

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Great suggestions by @Nicolai & @quebek 

Curious so asking, Do you have additional or another interface attached to the Windows NetBackup server?

I have experienced slowness when I enabled a additional interface (private vlan) on the NetBackup server. It was back to normal when I disabled the second interface. Both were 10g though.

tan_chiaw_wei
Level 2

@Nicolai & @quebek@Tape_Archived 

I have swapped the followings items:

• 10G network switch
  • both transceivers and the OM3 fiber optic that connect the NetBackup server to the 10G switch

still no joy :(

In fact, I'm also the network guy and i didn't, I'm sure that nothing is changed on the network side.

@Tape_Archived 

Thanks for the suggestion, my server has alot of network interfaces (1G and 10G), all have been disabled except those used for backup, still no joy :(.