cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup catalog verify gets "no images found" message.

RBarnett
Level 3

Due to budget constraints, I am not able to get any new tapes for backup to our Quantum PX720 tape library, so I am looking at expiring and re-using older tapes. I am using the NetBackup admin console in the catalog section to verify the contents of tape media in the current list. Some media is showing the images that have been backed up to tape, but others show the following:

"INF - Status = found no images or media matching the selection criteria."

Initially, it looked like I was only getting this message for tapes that were not currently in the tape library, but now I am seeing output for valid images even on tapes that have been vaulted for offsite storage. Does this message mean that NetBackup has no image for the tape? Or just that the current configuration has no record of that data? If I imported that tape media, could I expect to see the images on the tape?

I am trying to determine which tapes can be reused for backups, but without any idea of what is actually on the tapes, this makes the decision process more difficult.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Created:                        05/30/2006 16:32
Time Assigned:                  07/03/2006 06:52
First Mount:                    07/03/2006 06:53
Last Mount:                     07/03/2006 06:53
Volume Expiration:              -
Data Expiration:                INFINITY

The data should be inteact on this tape as it is set to infinity, and it was never used again after 2006.While doing the catalog what date range you have slected. Make sure you select the catalog time range while searching as 01/03/2006 till 10/03/2006 to get result. Let us know if it reports the same error after changing the date range.

Edit*: Also it is better to have your retention as per the SLA and not infinity as it would be very hard to get the data and delete them and therer is always chance for error. Better to retain the data as needed like 1 month,1 year, 7 year and once the retention is over it will automatically move the tape in scratch pool. I hope you undestand what i mean.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Maybe all images on these tapes have already expired?

If retention levels are in line with business requirements, there should be no need to worry about 'what is on the tapes'. 

If you go to Media section and sort by Assign Time. All media without date/time in this field are available and can be overwritten.

To see when tapes with valid images will expire, use Media Summary report (in Verbose mode).

RBarnett
Level 3

Thanks for the fast response. I am working with management on retention levels so the contents of some tapes will not matter. I am looking at tapes with an empty "Time Assigned" filed, but what about the media that has a "Time Assigned" field filled in, but still gives me the "No images found" message?

Marianne

Try 'Images on Media' in the Reports section of the GUI.

Another thought - if a tape got frozen for some reason, the images will expire normally, but the tape will never be deassigned.

Please show us output of this command for one of these tapes:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>

RBarnett
Level 3

Here is one of the tapes with the "Time Assigned" field filled in, but the catalog verify produces the error message:

# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid KOQ509
NBEMMCMD, Version:6.5.5
====================================================================
Media GUID:                     f3a33e34-766f-11dc-8000-95d6ecd7dc76
Media ID:                       KOQ509
Partner:                        -
Media Type:                     HCART3
Volume Group:                   austin_weekly_offsite
Application:                    Netbackup
Media Flags:                    1
Description:                    ---
Barcode:                        KOQ509L3
Partner Barcode:                --------
Last Write Host:                vmaster
Last Written:                   07/03/2006 07:10
Last Read:                      -
Robot Type:                     NONE
Robot Control Host:             -
Robot Number:                   -
Slot:                           -
Side/Face:                      -
Cleanings Remaining:            -
Number of Mounts:               1
Maximum Mounts Allowed:         0
Media Status:                   SUSPENDED
Kilobytes:                      132732992
Valid Images:                   66
Retention Period:               9
Number of Restores:             0
Optical Header Size Bytes:      1024
Optical Sector Size Bytes:      0
Optical Partition Size Bytes:   0
Last Header Offset:             518623
Adamm Guid:                     00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Rsm Guid:                       00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Origin Host:                    NONE
Master Host:                    vmaster
Server Group:                   NO_SHARING_GROUP
Upgrade Conflicts Flag:
Pool Number:                    10
Volume Pool:                    WeeklyOffsite
Previous Pool Name:             Scratch
Vault Flags:                    -
Vault Container:                -
Vault Name:                     Weekly
Vault Slot:                     29
Session ID:                     28
Date Vaulted:                   07/03/2006 07:47
Return Date:                    -
====================================================================
Command completed successfully.

I see from the Media Summary report (verbose mode) that some tapes will be expiring within the next month, which is definitely help. But if we can re-use tapes as old as this one, it will give us upwards of 400+ tapes!

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The data should be inteact on this tape as it is set to infinity, and it was never used again after 2006.While doing the catalog what date range you have slected. Make sure you select the catalog time range while searching as 01/03/2006 till 10/03/2006 to get result. Let us know if it reports the same error after changing the date range.

Edit*: Also it is better to have your retention as per the SLA and not infinity as it would be very hard to get the data and delete them and therer is always chance for error. Better to retain the data as needed like 1 month,1 year, 7 year and once the retention is over it will automatically move the tape in scratch pool. I hope you undestand what i mean.

Marianne
There are 66 valid, unexpired images on this tape. As per my previous post, you can use Images on Media report to see image info. Please note that the report as well as Verify will simply give header info such as client name, policy type, backup and expirations dates, image size, etc. No file list info.

RBarnett
Level 3

Thank you for your comments, they have been very helpful and I now have a better understanding on how to manage my tape media.