cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup client upgrade fails due to pending file rename operations

X2
   VIP   

I have a couple of clients running NetBackup 7.7.1 and 7.7.3 and have been trying to upgrade them to 8.1. However, both LiveUpdate and manual upgrade fails. During the manual upgrade, the warning shown is:

+ 03-12-2018,12:52:15 : One or more entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

+ 03-12-2018,12:52:15 : registry value are associated with products other than NetBackup. This indicates that previous operations on this host are

+ 03-12-2018,12:52:15 : pending completion following a reboot of the system. Consider finishing pending operations by rebooting the system.

The Windows registry shows .tmp files in C:\Program Files (x86)\VERITAS\VxPBX\bin\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\VERITAS\VxPBX\resources\VxPBX\

So, we rebooted the server as indicated by the warning. Upgrade after reboot gave us same warning and more .tmp files were listed this time. I even tried moving the files away during another upgrade attempt and it created those files again. I tried running the uninstall, and that didn't start either.

The warning is created during the upgrade/install of NetBackup client and currently the OS does not have that registry entry!

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

X2
   VIP   

Ended up opening a case with Support and apparently it was a known issue. See A Windows NetBackup upgrade to 7.7.3 fails and rolls back for details.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
You mentioned that you have also attempted manual upgrade of the clients, could you share the complete install log file preferably the html file.. The warning message you mentioned may not be the only problem that was reported during the install.

While installing nbu 8.1 on the client machine it tries to reach out to the master server and obtain the CA certificate if that process fails, installation would not proceed and would directly fail.

X2
   VIP   

The installation does not fail directly though. The certification deployment step works successfully and then I proceed with the pre-check part and start the install. The install goes on quite nicely, but then gives an error during cleanup after the install and indicates that a roll-back will be done.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

Before you will try again run this command on client

reg query "hklm\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v PendingFileRenameOperations

if you will see there any pedning renames - have your wintel team to sort this out... as this is windows related issue not NBU one. I am having such step in my cook book to upgrade servers, clients....

X2
   VIP   

Ended up opening a case with Support and apparently it was a known issue. See A Windows NetBackup upgrade to 7.7.3 fails and rolls back for details.