cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup finds drives but not library

Rab_Taylor
Level 3

I've seen posts about Netbackup picking up a library but not the drives but my issue is the opposite way round.

I've got NetBackup 7.6 on a Windows 2008 server, that connects to a NetApp filer which has 2 fibre connected IBM TSTS3x00 libraries which it uses NDMP to backup to.

After getting messages about being unable to sense one of the 2 libraries I thought I'd delete them and use the device configuartion wizard to add them back in (not my first step, already tried rebooting and hunting through log files to no avail).

When I run the device configuration wizard it picks up all the drives but only one of the libraries.  So it leaves half the tapes as stand alone.

No errors on the NetApp filer, no errors that I can see in NetBackup would suggest that it's a libray issue but there are no errors on the library either.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10

Rab_Taylor
Level 3

After seeing the "unable to determine robot type" message in the logs I followed

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000025758

to upgrade my local device mappings as below, but still same message when I run the device configuarion wizard

######################

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin>tpext -get_dev_mappings_ver
device mappings version in the EMM database is 1.116
device mappings version from the local file is 1.116
Local device mappings file is up-to-date

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin>tpext -loadEMM

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin>tpext -get_dev_mappings

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin>tpext -get_dev_mappings_ver
device mappings version in the EMM database is 1.136
device mappings version from the local file is 1.136
Local device mappings file is up-to-date

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

you must check the zoning and the configuration of the filer for misconfiguration or errors.

But I suggest you to share (zone) the libraries with the master or a media server and use netbackup to "direct control" the libraries. This configuration had save me a lot of troubleshooting time.

Marianne

Please show us what the OS sees - 'scan' command will confirm OS visibility and if devices are responding to SCSI_commands.

Command is in <install-path>\veritas\volmgr\bin.

Since the library is directly connected to the NetApp files via Fibre and not through a fabric switch, there is no zone.

Would I expect the library to show up to a scan command since the windows server can't contact it directly and the filer just uses NDMP to connect to it ?

There are 2 libraries and one of them I can inventory and use but neither show up on a scan command 

Marianne

The physical connection was not clear from your opening post.
Most environments share divices between NBU master/media servers and NetApp filers.

To see what the OS see on the filer, run
sysconfig -m
on the filer.

Probe from NBU master/media server:
tpautoconf -probe <filer-name>

Tousif
Level 6

Hi,

Are you using Local NDMP or Remote NDMP?

If its remote NDMP then we need to troubleshoot the issue on media server.

If we are using the Local NDMP (library attach to filer) then we need to check at filer end that devices configured correctly and if devices configured correctly then, are they visible to NBU media server?

For local NDMP please run the below command check if you are able to see the devices at NBU end.

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -probe ndmp_host_name

For Remote NDMP please scan the devices on media server.

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan

Thanks & Regards,

I've attached a jpg to show that that wizard picks up our 2 drive LTO5 library ok, but shows the 4 drive LTO5 library as 4 standalone drives.  Both drives are connected to an HBA in the filer. Data OnTap version is 8.1.3

The output of your probe command mirrors what the jpg shows, 1 library and 6 drives

Marianne

It seems that the filer has lost connectivity to the robot.

Please confirm with sysconfig on the filer itself.

Check physical connections.
Try to reboot the robot. 

Rebooting the robot hasn't helped but I agree with you, Marianne, it looks like an issue with it rather than with netbackup.

syconfig -t shows all six drives but syconfig -m only shows the one library.

I'll log a call with our storage support 3rd party to see if they can progress this.

Many thanks for your very quick response.

Marianne

I am not familiar with this robot - does it share scsi connection with a tape drive or own connector? I would personally check physical connections while waiting for support team.

Try to schedule a reboot of the filer if all physical connections have been verified.