cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup for Sharepoint environment diagrams

wfteixeira
Level 3

Hello All,

Someone can explain me how a backup of Netbackup for Sharepoint works? Describing the entire backup process.

For e.g.

1-Master Server connect to Media Server

2-Media Server send a bpcd conection to client

3-Sharepoint Server (that is a netbackup client) starts a connection with Back-end Server (SQL host)

4-Sharepoint Server send commands for SQL host (commands via APis)

5-etc

It´s only a example I don´t know if is true, please help me.

I have readed the Administration Guide however didn´t find it.

Best Regards.

Wellington Teixeira.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

Not sure how details you want those info for.

Netbackup internal processes (nb* & bp*) and workflow can be complicated and may not make sense for end user. Those are normally internal to Symantec or unless you are a partner supporting NBU.

For just a high-level overview:

Master server - media server - client connection are just like the normal backup.

Only diff is when communicating with clients (which is the Sharepoint frontend in policy), NBU looks at "Distributed Application Restore Mapping" to locate the actual Sharepoint backend (SQL) of the farm.

Therefore when a backup starts, you will see at least 3 jobs starting. One is parent job, it spawns another two, where 1 goes to Sharepoint frontend, the other goes to Sharepoint backend to backup respective components. The parent would receive status from both child jobs to determine if the whole process is good.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Let me see what I can do about it. I was able to contact someone about the vmware process flow and that got accomplished.

wfteixeira
Level 3

Thanks in advance for your answer..I´m waiting for this process flow. I really apreciate your help. 

Best Regards.

Wellington Teixeira.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

I got something yesterday from a co-worker, but this seems to be an internal document. I am trying to find out if I can post it online. Please stay tuned....

wfteixeira
Level 3

Hi Pikachu.

Do you have any news regarding my question?

Best Regards.

Wellington F. Teixeira.

wfteixeira
Level 3

Hi everyone.

Anybody can help me???

I need the explanation about NetBackup Sharepoint agent diagram?

Best regards.

Wellington Teixeira

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

I reached out further and I got confirmation that something is being worked on.

watsons
Level 6

Not sure how details you want those info for.

Netbackup internal processes (nb* & bp*) and workflow can be complicated and may not make sense for end user. Those are normally internal to Symantec or unless you are a partner supporting NBU.

For just a high-level overview:

Master server - media server - client connection are just like the normal backup.

Only diff is when communicating with clients (which is the Sharepoint frontend in policy), NBU looks at "Distributed Application Restore Mapping" to locate the actual Sharepoint backend (SQL) of the farm.

Therefore when a backup starts, you will see at least 3 jobs starting. One is parent job, it spawns another two, where 1 goes to Sharepoint frontend, the other goes to Sharepoint backend to backup respective components. The parent would receive status from both child jobs to determine if the whole process is good.

wfteixeira
Level 3

I would like to thank you in advance for taking time to answer me.

These informations will help me a lot.

I had a big restore issue with Netbackup Sharepoint agent. I had several problems during Sharepoint SSP restore. The solution was a fresh crawl of content.

I would like to share this documentation with you:  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171339

Bye.