cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup for Sybase ASE DB

connectfarrukh
Level 1

Hi,

One of my client needs online backup of Sybase ASE DB on a SAP server residing on a VMware directly to HP LTO6 Tape. They already have a valid 3 TB license of Backup Exec 20.3 server which does not support backup of Sybase. Please let me know what can be proposed to the customer. Is there a cross-grade upgrade available from BE to NBU.

You response will be hihgly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is unfortunately no 'crossgrade' license option between BE and NetBackup. You will need to get hold of your local Veritas office to negotiate discounts.

About the backup-to-tape requirement - this would've been easy if this was a physical server - it would be possible to configure the Sybase server as SAN Media server to backup itself directly to tape. 
Because tape is not supported by VMware, it is not supported by Veritas either (NBU and BE). 

Snapshot Client does not seem to be an option either, as Sybase is not listed as supported database/application under  'Supported Functionality' in 'Snapshot Solutions' section of NBU 8 HCL.

So, with the current config (Sybase on VMware), direct-to-tape backup will not be possible.

I see 2 possible options:
1. Deploy NBU Dedupe Media server and implement Client-side dedupe backups (over decent network infrasctructure between VM and Media server).
2. Migrate the Sybase server to physical server and configure as NBU SAN Media Server. 

Please reach out to a knowledgeable Veritas Partner to assist with best possible backup design for the entire environment.
If you are a Veritas Partner, please contact your local Veritas SE.