cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup for VMware: Error opening the snapshot disks using given transport mode: Status 23

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi everyone,

I'm having troubles to backup VMware virtual machines. The environment is configured as follows:

NetBackup Enterprise Server 7.0.1 running on Windows Server 2008 ( configured as master and media server)

8 Servers ESX 3.5 Enterprise U3  Configured in HA and managed by  VirtualCenter 2.5 U3  on Windows Server 2003 SE.

I'm trying vStorage type backup.

The backup host is the master/media server.

The Virtual Center server was configured as Virtual machine server. The credential has all the permissions.

DAS Storage: HP EVA 4400.

Transport type: LAN. It was not possible to have access to data store through Fiber channel.

Virtual Machine OS: Windows 2003

The policy properties:

Policy Type:         FlashBackup-Windows
HW/OS/Client:  vmx-04        winNetStandar
Include:  ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
Type:            Full Backup
Perform Snapshot Backup:        yes
Snapshot Method:                VMware
Snapshot Method Arguments:      nameuse=1,Virtual_machine_backup=2,trantype=6,disable_quiesce=0,file_system_optimization=1,snapact=2,vmmono=0
Perform Offhost Backup:         yes

At first, the policy validation failed with the following error:

"Snapshot could not be created with VMware method."

The problem was that in the vm.conf the libraries path were pointing to a unix  location not a windows location. After I set the correct paths, the issue was solved and  the policy validation was ok.

Then, I ran the backup and everything looked good. First, the snapshot of the virtual machine was created, then the tape was mounted and  "begin writting" but the data transfer never start and  a error came out:

"Error opening the snapshot disks using given transport mode: Status 23."

I already try  some solutions  I found posted on several symantec pages like:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136311

-NetBackup Client Service  uses a local system account. The folder C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-system is empty.

And,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TECH145344

None of the 2 options worked.

In the snapshot options, the parameter "Trasnsport type" was set "nbd", and I already try with the value "try all types".

In the backup host  I added  to hosts file, the entry for the VirtualCenter server and  for the VM.

I already try with 2 differents VMs, getting the same error.

Is something missing in the configuration? Any help would be great. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Problem solved.

It is requiered to add the following entries to the hosts file of the backup host:

•  ESX server in wich the VM run
  • Virtual center server
  • Virtual machine as well.,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Have you selected BLIB in the policy? Dont know if it would have this effect but its not supported with VM of versions previous to vmx-7.

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

BLIB requires ESX 4.0 and virtual machines at vmx-07 or later   :(

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Oh yeah, that too :p

Sorry, just a thought. All that I could see that looked funny but I obviously missed that part.

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

No problem, any idea can be good. But this time, does not apply to my environment.t

Thanks

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I already try to backup a virtual machine running on  ESX standalone server and datastore on local disks. But the job failed with the same error.

techterhof
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

one question vm_backup_type 2 is what type?

at first, try to backup only the vmdk in the policy called "Full VM backup" not the type "mapped Full VM backup"

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Problem solved.

It is requiered to add the following entries to the hosts file of the backup host:

•  ESX server in wich the VM run
  • Virtual center server
  • Virtual machine as well.,