cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup for VMware "Snapshot retry count"

iwantam
Level 3
Hi All, I see in the NetBackup policy VMware in the Advanced option there is "Snapshot retry count" whith the default value 10. Is it OK if I changed to lower value is there Any Impact? If it is OK to change it to lower value, is that any easy way to change (using command line) to change it? since using GUI took very long time. Thank you, Iwan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified

You can change the VMware tab in the policy using the following command:

bpplinfo POLICY_NAME -modify -snapshot_method_args "keyword=value,keyword=value,..."

Full details of all parameters for -snapshot_method_args are at https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000074127#v80137990

One thing i found is you have to list in the parameters anything you have changed in the policy because if you don't list it, then it will revert it to default by running the command. The parameter you want to change in this instance is the rLim= one. To get a list of all parameters currently in place for your policy then run bpplinfo POLICY_NAME -L and then look for the Snapshot Method Arguments section and can just copy that.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Well, IMHO, lowering the value will simply report an error sooner if there is an issue with snapshots.

I have searched the Commands manual but could not find a command/option to change VMware tab properties.

All I can suggest is to enable cmd logging for the Java Console, try again in the GUI, then check the log afterwards for command.

Locate Debug.properties file on the machine where you are running Java Console.
Good idea to do this on the master server as well.

Ensure these lines are uncommented:

printcmds=true 
printCmdLines=true
debugMask=0x00040000

Change the last line to: 

debugMask=0x0C000000

Save the file. Close Java GUI and open/logon again.

Make some changes in the GUI.
The command(s) will be logged in nbjlogs.
On my laptop (where I have Java Console installed), the path is :
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\user_ops\nbjlogs

Nick_Morris
Level 6

You can change the VMware tab in the policy using the following command:

bpplinfo POLICY_NAME -modify -snapshot_method_args "keyword=value,keyword=value,..."

Full details of all parameters for -snapshot_method_args are at https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000074127#v80137990

One thing i found is you have to list in the parameters anything you have changed in the policy because if you don't list it, then it will revert it to default by running the command. The parameter you want to change in this instance is the rLim= one. To get a list of all parameters currently in place for your policy then run bpplinfo POLICY_NAME -L and then look for the Snapshot Method Arguments section and can just copy that.

iwantam
Level 3

Hi Guys thanks for the reply, 

Marianne, the reason why I want to make it smaller is because if it failed it won't create too many snapshots (which I maybe wrong). I will try also to activate the blog to see the command. BTW currently I am using Java GUI (jnbSA) from the master server through Xserver, but I will try to find the log.

Nick Morris:

Thank you very much for the info I will try it. Currenly we have problem with vcenter, I will let you know once it is successfull. 

Thank again all, 

Iwan Tamimi

Marianne
Failed attempt means no snapshot is created. Attempt was unsuccessful... try again. So, each failed attempt does not leave an orphaned snapshot behind. VMware admins need to troubleshoot issue with this particular VM. If the command in the post that you marked as solution works for you, there is no need for Java logging. The process is merely to log the cmd equivalent of the GUI action.

iwantam
Level 3

Sorry for the late reply, because I found a strange thing (bugs?)

@Marianne you are right because I didn't understand so it could be from other caused

@Nick Morris,

Your command works but also give me a strange result:

I change using the command:

# bpplinfo VM_VAS_MOC_FS -modify -snapshot_method_args "rlim=6"

Then the result:

# bpplinfo VM_VAS_MOC_FS -L | grep rlim
Snapshot Method Arguments:      rlim=6

which is correct

But when I open in NetBackup console either  Java GUI or Windows GUI it doesn't reflect (I already refresh and also tried to quit from the GUI and login again)

see the attachment, it shows 10 instead of 6

Is it a bug?

Nick_Morris
Level 6

Hiya,

As i mentioned above (or i tried to if it wasn't clear) was you have to select all the snapshot parameters in the command. For example when i run bpplinfo POLICY_NAME -L i get the following listed under snapshot method arguments section (yours will likely to be different depending on how you have your policy setup):

Virtual_machine_backup=2,disable_quiesce=0,drive_selection=0,enable_vCloud=0,exclude_swap=1,file_system_optimization=1,ignore_irvm=1,multi_org=0,nameuse=1,post_events=1,rHz=10,rLim=10,rTO=0,serverlist=,skipnodisk=0,snapact=2,trantype=san:nbd

Therefore if i wanted to change the rLim selection to 5 i would run the following command:

bpplinfo POLICY_NAME -modify -snapshot_method_args "Virtual_machine_backup=2,disable_quiesce=0,drive_selection=0,enable_vCloud=0,exclude_swap=1,file_system_optimization=1,ignore_irvm=1,multi_org=0,nameuse=1,post_events=1,rHz=10,rLim=5,rTO=0,serverlist=,skipnodisk=0,snapact=2,trantype=san:nbd"

If i have the GUI at the time i found i have to do a View -> Refresh All before i could see it updated within the policy on the GUI

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much again it works. Yes I did refresh after I changed it through command line, even I quit from the GUI and connect again. After I did what you said (using the full options) it worked flawlesslye, the GUI reflect the change.

Just FYI when I did only 1 opiton (ie. # bpplinfo VM_VAS_MOC_FS -modify -snapshot_method_args "rlim=6") actually other bad thing happened: when I opened the Java GUI, the policy (any) cannot be change (by double clicking the policy name) thre was no way to change on the Java GUI (luckyly Windows GUI still could) but after I follow your anwser, the policy went back normal.

Actually you did mention on your posting I just didn't really understand until now, I am so sorry.

Thanks again for your help

Iwan

sdo

in case anyone needs to find the linked tech note:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO92099

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000074127

Marianne

I just remembered about this excellent blog: Handling Orphaned Snapshots