Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup installation drive is almost full

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi Experts,

Good day!

I would like to ask for your recommendation on how to reclaim disk space to my C: Drive which is the NetBackup Installation Drive. There's some issues prompting on our NetBackup Master Server.

We are looking to expand the C: Drive since it is VM, are you agree with that strategy?

Hoping for replies.

Thank you and best regards!

Jonas

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

It is possible to move parts of the catalog database to another volume (by leaving a pointer behind) but then you may have to extend the new volume too someday.  Instead, I agree with you, these days with VMs the notion of separate volumes just isn't that relevant anymore, and so I'd take the easy option and just expand the C: volume.  

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

if [installation_path]/netbackup/db/ is located on C drive, then it is expected to consume space as time go, becuase Netbackup records backup information in that location. 

If free space go below a certain percentage, Netbackup will stop working in order to protect the EMM database.

So, yes, I agree. Extend the C drive.

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

Its a Virtual Machine right, so take a snapshot or an export beforehand...

Andrew

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@J_Huggins 

Another option would be to move NBU image catalog to another drive.
See this TN for instructions:  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100037920

You need stop NBU for this. 

sdo

Using SCVMM 2016 for cluster of Hyper-V 2012 R2 with test guest VM of Windows 2012 R2, gen2, thin vhdx.

I have just sucessfully tested expanding (in Hyper-V) and then extending (inside guest) both C: and another volume, live, on-line - without having to shutdown.

Also, was then able to reduce size of both C: and another volume, live on-line inside the same guest - but SCVMM is not able to shrink, and so I had to use Failover Cluster Manager (not Hyper-V Manager) to shrink the VHDX provisioned sizes back down - again without having to shutdown the guest VM.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

A bit late for this system, but I wouldn't install any appliacations (well, big ones) on C:\

NBU should really go on <some other > drive and arguably, I'd seperate out the logs and catalog / NBDB as well.

When using a  proper operating system ;0) , I would do something like this as sepearate file systems

/usr/openv/

/usr/openv/logs/

/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/

/usr/openv/db

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

I would also consider which disks are underneath the filesystems - you don't want everything on the same disk as the OS ...

16 REPLIES 16

sdo

It is possible to move parts of the catalog database to another volume (by leaving a pointer behind) but then you may have to extend the new volume too someday.  Instead, I agree with you, these days with VMs the notion of separate volumes just isn't that relevant anymore, and so I'd take the easy option and just expand the C: volume.  

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

if [installation_path]/netbackup/db/ is located on C drive, then it is expected to consume space as time go, becuase Netbackup records backup information in that location. 

If free space go below a certain percentage, Netbackup will stop working in order to protect the EMM database.

So, yes, I agree. Extend the C drive.

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi Sir @sdo ,

Thank you for your reply.

If we expand the drive C: basically we're going to shutdown the Server right?

Using that strategy it is possible to affect our NetBackup Master Server? I mean is there any possible problem if we adjust or expand the drive C?

Jonas

Hi Sir @Nicolai ,

Thank you for reply.

If we do that, it may harm the server or not? If not we're now going to proceed.

Jonas

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

Its a Virtual Machine right, so take a snapshot or an export beforehand...

Andrew

sdo

In VCenter logically extend the VMDK - then inside the VM in Computer Management, Disks, re-scan, and hey-presto space appears - then right click C: and select expand/extend.  :)

You can do this on-line - no down-time.

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi Sir @sdo ,

Sorry I forgot to mention, we are using Hyper-V. It is possible to extend the C Drive even though the VM (NBU Master) is online?

Or do we need to shut it off?

Jonas

Hi Sir @andrew_mcc1 ,

Yes it's a VM (Hyper-V), do I need to shut it off? Or we can expand it without shutting it down?

Jonas

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@J_Huggins 

Another option would be to move NBU image catalog to another drive.
See this TN for instructions:  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100037920

You need stop NBU for this. 

Hi ma'am @Marianne ,

Good day!

Thank you for your reply. Will do that recommendation.

Jonas

sdo

What generation is that Hyper-V VM - is it gen 1, or gen 2 ?

What type of virtual disk is being used by that Hyper-V VM - is it a ".vhd" or a ".vhdx" ?

sdo

Using SCVMM 2016 for cluster of Hyper-V 2012 R2 with test guest VM of Windows 2012 R2, gen2, thin vhdx.

I have just sucessfully tested expanding (in Hyper-V) and then extending (inside guest) both C: and another volume, live, on-line - without having to shutdown.

Also, was then able to reduce size of both C: and another volume, live on-line inside the same guest - but SCVMM is not able to shrink, and so I had to use Failover Cluster Manager (not Hyper-V Manager) to shrink the VHDX provisioned sizes back down - again without having to shutdown the guest VM.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I cannot re-call how many times I have extended the disk here the Netbackup catalog reside. 

Good input from SDO. 

Learn how to re-size the C: disk, you will have to do this a lot of times going forward.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

A bit late for this system, but I wouldn't install any appliacations (well, big ones) on C:\

NBU should really go on <some other > drive and arguably, I'd seperate out the logs and catalog / NBDB as well.

When using a  proper operating system ;0) , I would do something like this as sepearate file systems

/usr/openv/

/usr/openv/logs/

/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/

/usr/openv/db

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

I would also consider which disks are underneath the filesystems - you don't want everything on the same disk as the OS ...

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi Experts

@mph999 , @Nicolai , @sdo , @Marianne , @andrew_mcc1 

Thank you to all of you, this could be a big help for us.

Will mark your reply as solution for fair.

Best regards!

Jonas