cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup issue registering SQL Server Instance

riazjee
Level 4

Dear All,

We have Netbackup 8 on Windows OS. Currently SQL Server backups are configured on a SQL Instance and working perfactly fine.

I was doing some practice trying to explore more about SQL Intelligent policies using https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.v105271014_nbu_sql_web (Option: Use credentials that are defined locally on the client).

1. The domain user has sysadmin role on the SQL Instance
  2. The domain user is in the OS Administrators group
  3. Following services are started using the domain user:

NetBackup Legacy Network Service

NetBackup Legacy Client Service

NetBackup Client Service

I am getting following error while trying to register the instance (screenshot attached); target SQL Version is 2012:

Error in validating credentials

Status Code: 3 unable to successfully enumerate:

As the SQL backups are already working (using scripts), I suppose the necessary ports are open between NBU server and client.

Could you please help me in resolving this issue? Thanks.

Regards,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

"Old batch scripts" only require that the user to be local administrator and to have sysadmin privileges over SQL. The "SQL intelligent policy" is not that inteligent and even if NetBackup services are setup to start under a specific user, the modification over local policy is still needed.

View solution in original post

I managed to fix the issue. The netbackup client version on SQL DB Server was 7.6.1; once I upgraded to 7.7.1, everything work perfactly fine.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

IonutP
Level 4

You did not modified the local security policy to allow the "domain_user" to "proper" impersonate.

- Impersonate a client after authentication

- Replace a process level token

PS: Even if the user is in "Administrators" group and the "Administrators group" is present under "Local security settings" you still need to add the user separately.

Thanks for your feedback. I will check that out. However, since there are existing SQL backups (using script files) running using the same domain user and have been working fine, I suppose the domain user already have those privileges; otherwise the backups would have been failed.

"Old batch scripts" only require that the user to be local administrator and to have sysadmin privileges over SQL. The "SQL intelligent policy" is not that inteligent and even if NetBackup services are setup to start under a specific user, the modification over local policy is still needed.

You were right; the domain user didn't had that privileges. I granted the mentioned privileges and restarted netbackup services (client, legacy network) but I sill get the same error :(

I managed to fix the issue. The netbackup client version on SQL DB Server was 7.6.1; once I upgraded to 7.7.1, everything work perfactly fine.

Thanks for your help.