cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup logs drive error using "drive X" - which relates to?

MortenSeeberg
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So I recently troubleshooted a Windows NBU server, and in the Windows Application Event Log i got this error from TLD:

TLD(0) cannot dismount drive 1, slot 231 already is full

I know what it means and there was a good reason for it and that´s now fixed.

My question is, where did the "drive 1" naming come from? Windows itself use "tapeX" naming (which starts from 0). I tried looking everywhere in NBU I could think, Device Scan wizard, scan tool, tpconfig, vmoprcmd, GUI, but I can find no reference to NetBackup using this naming anywhere else :)

It looks to me as if the "drive X" starts from "1" because the issue was with the first tape drive in the library, so most likely the naming refers to the "physical tape location in the library. But without knowing for sure, I feel like I cannot trust this 100% :)

Anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, I believe it is the physical position in the library.

So if you look in scan -changer output, that lists the drives in the library by serial number, the top one in the list is drive 1.

You would also see the drive position in tpconfig -dl output.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, I believe it is the physical position in the library.

So if you look in scan -changer output, that lists the drives in the library by serial number, the top one in the list is drive 1.

You would also see the drive position in tpconfig -dl output.

MortenSeeberg
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for confirming. Funny TLD doesn´t use the official name when logging errors, but if things were easy then we´d be bored right :)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU is reporting the message returned by the library.

Always easy to match up with 'tpconfig -l'. 

MortenSeeberg
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Except that "tpconfig -l" starts with "drive 0" and not "drive 1" (and it seems TLD errors in Event log uses a naming that starts with "1").

So that would just confuse things (of course it´s not advanced math we´re dealing with here :) but still "scan -changer" gives a clearer picture).

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The first column in tpconfig is 'Drive Index'.
Index number is assigned in the order in which drives are added.

The robot drive number is in 'Robot DrNum' column.

MortenSeeberg
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Sorry had to open my eyes :) They stopped wondering when I hit the first column :)