Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup on MS Exchange Cluster

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

I would like ask about opinion on whether want to use failover cluster or enhanced media server configuration (as described in Veritas NetBackup High Availability Administrator’s Guide) ?

In my environment, I have MS Windows 2003 R2 SP2, Exchange 2007 and NetBackup 6.5.5 as well as Granular Recovery Technology (GRT).

I think using failover cluster is kind of troublesome and have limitation.

Do you guys have any idea ?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

lu
Level 6
You should have both: a failover master cluster, and a pool of load balanced media servers.

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
 Thank you for reply, I mean failover NetBackup cluster OR install media server individually on each node of the cluster. I think install on each node will be better, and create app_cluster for Microsoft Exchange Cluster. Anyway thanks for the reply.

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'm against clustered media server installations.  Especially if you have active/ active clusters.
Another thing is that you will not able to install cluster media servers within netbackup 7 (but you can upgrade them from 6.5)
Netbackup will support only application clusters.
So install it as an aplplication cluster.

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
 Thank you, smpt. I do agree with you that application cluster is a better choice and install media server on both servers.