cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup on PowerVM

RGuinn
Level 4

Does anyone know if NetBackup 7.1 is supported on an AIX virtual server?  We are looking to move our Master Server from a physical to a virtual server and I can't find anything in the Symantec documentation about it.  I can find tons of info about using VmWare, but not PowerVM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The "Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments" has been updated with 7.1 info, but still no PowerVM info. Only AIX LPAR is mentioned:

For virtual environments, NetBackup supports backup and recovery of AIX LPAR,
Hitachi Virtage LPAR, and HP-UX vPar hard partitions as if they were physical
servers.
NetBackup also supports AIX LPAR, Hitachi Virtage LPAR, and HP-UX vPar hard
partitions as media servers. Note that the tape drives must be configured in a
dedicated mode so that the virtual machine has exclusive control of the I/O path.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The "Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments" has been updated with 7.1 info, but still no PowerVM info. Only AIX LPAR is mentioned:

For virtual environments, NetBackup supports backup and recovery of AIX LPAR,
Hitachi Virtage LPAR, and HP-UX vPar hard partitions as if they were physical
servers.
NetBackup also supports AIX LPAR, Hitachi Virtage LPAR, and HP-UX vPar hard
partitions as media servers. Note that the tape drives must be configured in a
dedicated mode so that the virtual machine has exclusive control of the I/O path.

RGuinn
Level 4

Marianne,

That is exactly what I discovered as well. It still does not answer my question. I have the client installed on many PowerVM systems, but I need to know if it supports a Master Server running on PowerVM. We are replacing all of our aged hardware and my Master Server is an LPAR on a P570 that is slated for replacement.  All of our AIX systems are being migrated to Power7 and being virtualized. I would hate to be the cause of delaying this project.

Chrescht
Level 1

Hi,

I am also interested in this topic as I plan to migrate my Netbackup master / media to the AIX platform. We are running Power6 with VIO Servers and I cannot find any information on this.

If I understood right, You are running a dedicated the master in an LPAR all alone on a P570 , or do you have more LPARs (with separate I/Os , CPUs etc) on that physical machine?

Thank you

Christian