Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup on WORKGROUP

Yet
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I would like to request for some idea.

I have running NetBackup 7.7 on a domain backing up mostly Microsoft applications (Exchange, SQL, etc) on that domain.

Due to some security reason, I’m thinking of putting Master Server out of that domain and into a workgroup, but still need to backup all clients (in the domain) it has right now. I think this is possible, I need to know,

• what area should I be focusing with in terms of communication
  • can I migrate my current FQDN master server and Appliance media servers to a workgroup environment
  • what should I do with current catalog & EMM database bearing a domain configuration

Appreciate any idea you can throw.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot change a NetBackup master server hostname.
Only certified consultant can do this at a hefty price.

If NBU was installed using FQDN, then changing from Master.FQDN to Master constitutes a hostname change.

You MAY be able to get away with adding an alias in the workgroup master's hosts file:
<IP-address> Master  Master.FQDN

No guarantees. 
Prepare a server in a lab environment (or VM) with above hosts file, use network/CIFS share or USB drive for catalog backup and restore.
See if EMM starts up fine after catalog recovery.

If not - get in touch with your local Veritas office for a list of Catman certified partners, then get a quotation and submit to your management.

Yet
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Many thanks Marianne.

Do you mean backing up current NBU (domain) production catalog and restore it to new NBU (workgroup) lab envi?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. 

Just to test if my theory about the hosts file alias will work or not.

You don't want to change things in production and run the risk of breaking NBU...

Yet
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I'll try this one, and let you know.

Many thanks again Marianne. :)