Did you mean: 

NetBackup performance when using VM thin - Thick provisioned storage

Atharava13
Level 3

Dear All,

We are using the Netbackup 7.6.0.1 & Our virtualization is as below:
VCenter 5.5
ESX host : 4.1.x to 5.5
Some of the VM server size 1TB to 4.5TB   (All VM server disk is configured Thick provision)
And all backup are replating to Offsite (via: SLP)  (Storage: iSCSI)

Currently All VM backup is configured on netbackup and created two policies in case lage size of backup. (VM Policy: Exclude data disk & MS Windows policy for disk partation (i.e E:\  d:\  etc.. )
And below 1TB all VM server is configured with "Include all disk". 
Now I am planning to migrate the VM server from Thick provision to Thin Provision.
I asume that I will achive below after changes:
1) I will achive VM Storage free space.
2) Netbackup backup size & time will reduce.
3) Offsite replication time will and size will reduce.

Can you guide I am correct or not?
And Which format I am using Thick or Thin?

Regards,
Atharava13

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If your backups are already NetBackup BLIB (Block Level Incremental Backup) based (i.e. leveraging VMware CBT (Change Block Tracking)), and also configured to ignore deleted/unused blocks then changing from thick to thin VMDK on VMware will have no impact upon NetBackup.  Yes, you will achieve some reclaimed space within the VMFS data stores - but there will be no change in backup job duration or size because the backup job is already as optimised as it can be.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have moved this post to the NetBackup forum.

From what I can see in NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide , the only time where NBU is concerned with thin/thick provisioning is during restore.

Extract from p. 149:

■ Thin Provisioning
Configures the restored virtual disks in the thin format. Restores the populated
blocks but does not initialize vacant blocks or commit them.
Thin provisioning saves disk space through dynamic growth of the vmdk file.
The vmdk files are no larger than the space that the data on the virtual machine
requires. The virtual disks automatically increase in size as needed.

p. 150:

Refer to the following Symantec document for more support details on thin
provisioned disks:
Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments
For more information on virtual disk provisioning, refer to VMware's
documentation. 

To know the affect on backups - you will have to try it and see...

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Don't think

2) Applies if you are using the vmare cbt feature and the other block feature in the vmware policy.

3) Applies as Netbackup replication is based on optimized duplication which only send the changes

But as already stated by Marianne, testing is the only way to know, please let us know what the result is.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Atharava13
Level 3

Dear Marianne,

Provided internal link not opened "Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments"
Can you please provide the another link?

Current Thick provission backup size is very large because of many sever more than 1TB disk (Thick) and actully used space is 300GB- 400GB

I know the After migrate Thick to thin Netbackup performance will increase.

Also backup size will reduce.

But I want relevent Netbackup document for Thin provission benifits, that will show you our management and will schedule the activity.

Regards,

Atharava

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments is not an 'internal link'. The underlying URL is:   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089 

Click on 'Attachments' to download the pdf.

bjarne1
Level 2

Hi Atharava

As Michael writes about 2) & 3), it should not matter if configured correct. I assume that offsite isn't tape device ...

You write " know the After migrate Thick to thin Netbackup performance will increase", but that depend on the underlying storage system as well and the number of changed blocks - and a lot more.

Performance will not "per definition" increase compared to correct configured.

Are both your primary and offsite destination dedup engines ? Makes a difference as well..

We run VMware guests between 40 Gb and 10 Tb - thin and thick, and they are NOT configured the same - one size dosn't fit all :)

Look at what your primary goal is. Space savings on guest,  performance increase in backup or fast offsite SLP - or are we looking at best restore performance..

Regards 
 Bjarne

Atharava13
Level 3

Dear Bjarne,

Thanks for reply.

I agreed your points.

We are not using Tape drive, All Pure Disk storage is configured.

Yes your understanding correct, I am suggesting to migrate VMs Thick to Thin for save ESXi storage space as well as Backup size, backup storage, Network bandwidth and OffSite storage space and replication time saving.

I know all is depend upon Storage system and configured network infrastructure design.

For this I am creating the test environment.
(Same setup I was successfully done on previous company, This is my new company, Hear many issues on backup infra. So I want to stable it with good solution,  that's I am taking suggestion from you.)

* His offsite replication will run only week-en (Friday night to Monday Morning) and this duration backup replication not completed, due to heavy backup size.

Primary goal : Replicate the backup to offsite with in time.
2) Network bandwidth is low in this company and currently there is no plan for upgrade.

That's reason I am suggest this option, Please suggest if any other option.

Regards,
Aatharava.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If your backups are already NetBackup BLIB (Block Level Incremental Backup) based (i.e. leveraging VMware CBT (Change Block Tracking)), and also configured to ignore deleted/unused blocks then changing from thick to thin VMDK on VMware will have no impact upon NetBackup.  Yes, you will achieve some reclaimed space within the VMFS data stores - but there will be no change in backup job duration or size because the backup job is already as optimised as it can be.