Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup port between master for AIR

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In the Port en Firewall reference guide, I can read :

Note: If using Auto Image Replication (AIR) for optimized duplication, TCP ports
1556, 10082, and either 10102 (MSDP) or 443 (PDDO) must be open between the
NetBackup domains.

But if AIR is between 2 Data Domain, I think 10082, and either 10102 (MSDP) or 443 (PDDO)  do not need to be opened.

Is this possible, when AIR is between to Data Domain, to have no ports opened between the two domains (except ports between Netbackup and DD) ?

I read that port 1556 is opened between the two master... but is this mandatory ?

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree - MSDP ports are not needed for DataDomain.

DD port requirements are covered under a separate topic:

DataDomain OpenStorage ports
The following ports must be open to use a DataDomain OST storage server.
■ The TCP ports for 2049 (nfs), 111 (portmapper), and 2052 (mountd) must be open from the media server to the target storage server.
■ The UDP port 111 (portmapper) must be open from the media server to the target storage server.
■ The TCP port 2051 (replication) must also be open from the media server to the storage server for optimized duplication.

Port 1556 between masters is a must.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Port 2051 is required between the two data domains for "Managed File Replication" (ost controlled replication).

All Data Domain ports is listed here:

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-33258

MFR replication background here:

https://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h7082-data-domain-replicator-wp.pdf

As Marianne pointed out 1556 is mandatory between two Netbackupdomains doing AIR via Data Domain. Besides that no other are required.

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I agree, but if pbx is mandatory, do you know which way the connections are open between the two M/aster and the two Data Domain.

...because if I replicate from a sensitive site to a less sensitive site, I only allowsto open IP connections from the sensitive site to a less sensitive site.

I do not found this information in the NetBackup documentation.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
1556 must be open in both directions. NBU comms is always bi-directional. No way around it.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Even thou you could get away with opening in one direction, you would need the option to do "reverse air" requiring 1556 opened bi-directional.