Did you mean: 

NetBackup schedules run manualy and protection of full backup

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi!

Have two questions

Manual backup

I have policy which runs VM full backup each Sunday (backup window Sunday) and differential backups each day (backup window night). On the past week i run full backup manually in Thursday and so, backup have not run in Sunday as i planned. As i know (not so long ago :) if NetBackup calculate next schedule run time from the last successful backup, my last successful backup was manual backup in Thursday, but backup window set to Sunday, so it cannot run in Thursday, it may run just in next Sunday. Is it possible somehow to make NetBackup perform scheduled backup in time even if i run manual backup?

Protection of full backups.

For example i have policy to make full backup each week in Sunday and store them one week and differential each day and store them 7 days. For example something has happened and full backup did not run in time, is full backup expire even if differential backup exists? I understand that after expiration of full backup, next differential will be the same as full, but is time between two differentials is this is a risk to lose all consistent backups? Or i better to keep full backups for a longer time?

Thank you very much for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1. Create another schedule for Full - Call it something like Full-Manual with no backup window, so it will never try to run automatically.
See this article about Frequency Based scheduling (be sure to download the pdf):
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-frequency-based-scheduling

2. Not a good idea to keep weekly backup for one week only...
Retention and recovery needs is determined by company policy and should never be a backup admin's decision.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1. Create another schedule for Full - Call it something like Full-Manual with no backup window, so it will never try to run automatically.
See this article about Frequency Based scheduling (be sure to download the pdf):
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-frequency-based-scheduling

2. Not a good idea to keep weekly backup for one week only...
Retention and recovery needs is determined by company policy and should never be a backup admin's decision.

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I already tried to proof such scenario. I have taken hourly automatic differential schedule and create the same with now start window as you mention. Last automatic backup was performed at 13:27, manual backup with another schedule was performed at 13:37. So next automatic run of differential was in 13:37(!!!!!).

Of course i don’t specify business requirements, but my business users do not know anything about how NetBackup works. So user asks me to create backup each day and keep for one week. For example Acronis and Veeam protect full backups, even if expiration time comes, they will never remove full backups cause differential will be absolutely useless. So because NetBackup cannot protect full i need to keep it for a longer time.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Adding to Mariannes outstanding post ...

"On the past week i run full backup manually in Thursday and so, backup have not run in Sunday as i planned."

I presume you have backups set via frequency.

Your full backup is (I think) set to run 1 week frequency, ad the wiindo is open on Sunday.

To 'fix' your problem, simply set the freqency of the Full back to 1 day.

That way, it wants to run each day, but cannot, as the window is only Sunday.

BUT

If you run it manally on Thu, it WILL run on Sunday, as that is a different day.

Thanks,

Martin

Hi @mph999 

regarding on your response, "That way, it wants to run each day, but cannot, as the window is only Sunday." it will create a job in activity monitor or not?