cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup settings to reduce Memory Paging

NBMe
Level 3

Hello,

Our Systems Engineering team is setting up a Microsoft SCOM environment to monitor our servers.  One of the services of Microsoft SCOM is to send out an email alert when a server is using too many resources and is in danger of crashing/hanging.  Unfortunately, when a NetBackup Job starts, it’s using the most resources and we are receiving a lot of these alert notifications.  It’s mainly due to the amount of Memory Paging that is occurring.  I’ve informed them that this is a normal behavior when a NetBackup job runs in order to efficiently finish a Backup Job in a timely manner. 

Just to fulfill their request of investigating this matter, does there exist a NetBackup setting where we can reduce the amount of Memory Paging so that we can reduce the amount of SCOM notification alerts when we backup a Windows Client?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Memory handling is the responsibility of the OS, thus there is no setting in Netbackup.

How much free memory do you have when the backup start - I guess we are talking about a client.

Memory paging could indicate you don't have enough memory.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

key point of your issue is to determine which process request much memory and what is going on at that time.

I suppose memory is vonsumed be some exchange processes while Exchange backups. Ungortunately I have no idea other than reducing backup bandwidth - bu it may or may not help. Does anyone have an idea?

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I guess you could tune the memory paging on the server. Is this a Windows 2003 32-bit? You can set the PTE in registry to accommodate for this (
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages), and set the /3GB switch in boot.ini (should be there already as this is a requirement for Exchange). On 64-bit this should not be an issue really, as the kernel can address a lot more memory before swapping to the page file.

/A

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Memory handling is the responsibility of the OS, thus there is no setting in Netbackup.

How much free memory do you have when the backup start - I guess we are talking about a client.

Memory paging could indicate you don't have enough memory.

NBMe
Level 3

Thank you for your response AAImroth.

These servers vary from Windows Server 2003 x86 to Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64).

The particular example I attached were off a Client that's running Windows Server 2008 R2.