cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup status code 126: NB database backup header is too large, too many paths specified

vinayak88
Level 2

Hello ,

I am new to netbackup. for error 126 i found below solution in forum

Recommended action: Delete some of the paths from the catalog backup configuration. 

Can anyone please explain how to do above process.?

Thanks in Advance

Vinayak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, as far as I know you would only see this when using cold catalog backups, these are not avaiable in NBU 7.x onwards.

The old way of doing catalog backups was known as 'cold' backups, here in the catalog policy you could configure the directories to backup, more of less like a file list in a rehular policy.

If too many paths were entered, you would receive this error - I have no idea how many paths would cause the issue, but certianly it was very rare.

The issue 'cannot' happen with hot catalog backups, as the file list is not configerable, NBU knows what to backup for a catalog, it's hard coded.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

not enough details in T/N too

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO50895

i would say open a case with Symantec.

also could you let us know does the backup failure for catalog backups?

if yes.. could you show us the catalog backup policy configurations

bppllist <policyname> -L

also the failed job detail status.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What version of netbackup are you using.

Are you running cold catalog backups - I think you are

With cold catalog backups you can specify the filelist to backup, I think - in which case you must have hit some limit.

I would suggest that you switch to hot catalog backups which if the issue is what I think it is, will resolve the issue.

Hopefully, you are not running NBU 5.1

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I see that Vinayak chose NBU 7.5 as NBU version that only supports hot catalog backup?

HOWTO50895 (in Nagalla's post) also clearly says under Products:
NetBackup Enterprise Server

So, the TN is really not making any sense... Maybe a left-over status code from older versions?

Seeing output of catalog policy will help.

If this is pre-7.0 NBU version, the command to list catalog backup config is: 

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpsyncinfo -U 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I'll have a look in the DB, see if there are any past cases. In the meantime, confirmation of the NBU version would be good along with the policy details, though only on cold catalog backups are the paths configerable.

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you please post the job details so I can see the exact error?

Thanks.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yay ... Debs to the rescue ...

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Vinayak

I see you explained you found this solution/ issue in the forum.

Can you confirm if you really have this problem on your system, or, are you just asking to increase you're knowledge ?

vinayak88
Level 2

Hello ,

Yes , i just asked this question to increased my knowledge .  cause i found solution in forun but dont know how to do it.

I am new to netbackup. for error 126 i found below solution in forum

Recommended action: Delete some of the paths from the catalog backup configuration. 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, as far as I know you would only see this when using cold catalog backups, these are not avaiable in NBU 7.x onwards.

The old way of doing catalog backups was known as 'cold' backups, here in the catalog policy you could configure the directories to backup, more of less like a file list in a rehular policy.

If too many paths were entered, you would receive this error - I have no idea how many paths would cause the issue, but certianly it was very rare.

The issue 'cannot' happen with hot catalog backups, as the file list is not configerable, NBU knows what to backup for a catalog, it's hard coded.

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6

I really would like to know what the job details show.  As mph999 said - this should not happen with hot catalog backups.  

You do NOT want to start editing paths or deleting things from the catalog.  Please post the job details.

Thank you.

CRZ
Level 6

There are no job details, because this is a hypothetical question.

Snookered again!

vinayak88
Level 2

Thanks mph999 ,.. for clarification on this issue.