Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup update_clients / update_dbclients

faceless
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

I have a question about the upgrade for NetBackup clients. I have a Unix/Linux environment using NetBackup 6.5.4 with some Oracle and Lotus clients. I want to update the last old clients (NetBackup 6mp6 and 6.5) from the master or media server.

update_clients

- does this command only update NetBackup or all other option?

- if it does not upgrade all option, how to remote upgrade the Lotus option?

update_dbclients

- does this command update both NetBackup and Oracle option?

I test update_clients on one specific client, and it works (the client show the version 6.5.4 in the GUI and in the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version file). But when connecting on the client, the /usr/openv/pack surprised me. Then, when trying to start the ./NB_update.install (with all pack and options) there was no * (* denotes installed pack) after the NB_CLT_6.5.4 / NB_JAV_6.5.4 and obviously not after NB_LOT_6.5.4 and NB_ORA_6.5.4 (maybe normal with only update_clients).

Thanks in advance.

++

Faceless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

update_clients only updates NBU client binaries. No agents/options. It simply copies the client binaries that lives on the master under /usr/openv/netbackup/client.

update_dbclients can be used where agent/option software and patches have been installed on the master with the intention of pusing it out to clients. Instructions are normally included in Agent guides and the relevant patch README's, e.g http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129343 .

"4) Run update_dbclients to push the Release Update software to the affected
  database agent clients:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/update_dbclients Oracle ALL ALL "

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

update_clients only updates NBU client binaries. No agents/options. It simply copies the client binaries that lives on the master under /usr/openv/netbackup/client.

update_dbclients can be used where agent/option software and patches have been installed on the master with the intention of pusing it out to clients. Instructions are normally included in Agent guides and the relevant patch README's, e.g http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129343 .

"4) Run update_dbclients to push the Release Update software to the affected
  database agent clients:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/update_dbclients Oracle ALL ALL "

Genericus
   VIP   

Oracle at NB 6.5 must be recycled after or during update - there is a linked library that is read into memory when oracle starts, and will cause a mismatch when backing up.

update_clients only updates the client, so for oracle clients you do it twice - once as update clients, once as update dbclients.

It is a good idea to have the DBA validate the linked library after the update.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Will_Restore
Level 6

try install_client_files instead