Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup vStorage API Backup & Restore Process Flow

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

I'm looking for the NetBackup process flow diagram (not generic) for VMware backup & restore (vStorage API). Can anyone share the diagram.

Best Regards,

Rizwan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi guys,

I have started a Nuts and Bolts series on NetBackup for VMware process flow. Please see the first blog here Please do provide feedback so that I know how much we need to discuss in further blogs. Thanks much.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Even I am looking for the process flow, it follows similar processes as for a snapshot backup and few additional processes added in VM environment are:bpVMutil, bpVMreq. Please add and let us know how does the backup/restore happens process wise in VM backups in NBU 7.1

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

What are you looking for exactly? How much detail do you need?

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

I am actually looking for the functional overview as how does netbackup communicates using what processes to a VM client through Backup host. The process flow.

Fred2010
Level 6

Hi,

I would be interested in that flow as well...

I guess in general it would be handy to have a flowchart of what process does what, and in what order would be useful to many people...

I know some process flow is discussed in courses of Netbackup, but I really think it'd be a handy thing to have online for instance...

Fred

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same here!

We need something similar to the backup and restore diagrams in the Troubleshooting Guide with the added detail of the master -> backup host -> vSphere -> ESX .....  including port connections.

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

Rizwan et al-

Thank you for posting this request. Symantec hears you loud and clear. We will look into adding more details in the manual.

For now, I can look into providing a brief write-up for immediate help. Please stay tuned.

Warm regards,

Rasheed

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

Hi guys,

I have started a Nuts and Bolts series on NetBackup for VMware process flow. Please see the first blog here Please do provide feedback so that I know how much we need to discuss in further blogs. Thanks much.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Appreciate your inputs on this post. I have did provide the feedback on the blog. Hoping that Symantec will release its NetBackup Process flows for all its backup solutions. I guess that i'm not asking too much!!!

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

We can happily share details needed for understanding and troubleshooting. What I cannot disclose is the actual IP behind some of these algorithms and techniques. I shall post on transport methods and restores next week.

Boomchi
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Rasheed,

Boomchi

Hi Abdul,

I am unable to access the link, can you please assist.

Thanks & Regards

Mithun B

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately the old Symantec links do not automatically redirect to VOX/Veritas.
And Abdul is unfortunately no longer with Symantec or Veritas... 

Replace all www-secure.symantec.com in the URLs with  www.veritas.com

You can find Abdul Rasheed's blogs here: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Netting-Out-NetBackup-Blog/Nuts-and-Bolts-in-NetBackup-for-VMware/ba-p/78...