Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup vStorage API Backup & Restore Process Flow

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

I'm looking for the NetBackup process flow diagram (not generic) for VMware backup & restore (vStorage API). Can anyone share the diagram.

Best Regards,

Rizwan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi guys,

I have started a Nuts and Bolts series on NetBackup for VMware process flow. Please see the first blog here Please do provide feedback so that I know how much we need to discuss in further blogs. Thanks much.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Even I am looking for the process flow, it follows similar processes as for a snapshot backup and few additional processes added in VM environment are:bpVMutil, bpVMreq. Please add and let us know how does the backup/restore happens process wise in VM backups in NBU 7.1

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

What are you looking for exactly? How much detail do you need?

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

I am actually looking for the functional overview as how does netbackup communicates using what processes to a VM client through Backup host. The process flow.

Fred2010
Level 6

Hi,

I would be interested in that flow as well...

I guess in general it would be handy to have a flowchart of what process does what, and in what order would be useful to many people...

I know some process flow is discussed in courses of Netbackup, but I really think it'd be a handy thing to have online for instance...

Fred

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same here!

We need something similar to the backup and restore diagrams in the Troubleshooting Guide with the added detail of the master -> backup host -> vSphere -> ESX .....  including port connections.

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

Rizwan et al-

Thank you for posting this request. Symantec hears you loud and clear. We will look into adding more details in the manual.

For now, I can look into providing a brief write-up for immediate help. Please stay tuned.

Warm regards,

Rasheed

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

Hi guys,

I have started a Nuts and Bolts series on NetBackup for VMware process flow. Please see the first blog here Please do provide feedback so that I know how much we need to discuss in further blogs. Thanks much.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Appreciate your inputs on this post. I have did provide the feedback on the blog. Hoping that Symantec will release its NetBackup Process flows for all its backup solutions. I guess that i'm not asking too much!!!

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

We can happily share details needed for understanding and troubleshooting. What I cannot disclose is the actual IP behind some of these algorithms and techniques. I shall post on transport methods and restores next week.

Boomchi
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Rasheed,

Boomchi

Hi Abdul,

I am unable to access the link, can you please assist.

Thanks & Regards

Mithun B

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately the old Symantec links do not automatically redirect to VOX/Veritas.
And Abdul is unfortunately no longer with Symantec or Veritas... 

Replace all www-secure.symantec.com in the URLs with  www.veritas.com

You can find Abdul Rasheed's blogs here: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Netting-Out-NetBackup-Blog/Nuts-and-Bolts-in-NetBackup-for-VMware/ba-p/78...